keeping fancy goldfish??

newbie101

Well Known
Reaction score
well goldfish are coldwater fish they like temps below 70 and will be very unhappy and get sick if kept with tropicals (that like temps 75 to 80 on average) other than that I believe theyre the same pretty much

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are these comets( single tailed) or true fancies ( multiple tailed)?

They both need a minimum of 15-20 gallons a fish to do best.

As well, true fanices need a high veggie diet due to the compacting of their intestines in their short body.

Also, both require a higher rate of filtration,than most tropicals, as they are massive waste producers.

Dino

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Goldies are really neat fish and to me really easier than tropicals. They do need more room and prefer an unheated tank. I think everything else has been covered
Welcome back to the dark side Craig ;D
Carol

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could put one goldfish in the 17 G. Just make sure their not koi, because they are pond fish.
Carol

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Smaller fish grow up. Remember? I doubt he will get lonesome with all the attention I know he will get ;D
Carol

OP
C

Craig

Well Known
Reaction score
I wud really like 2 put sumthin in with him ??? a new addition I wud make wud b puttin a gravel filter in how much wud I hav 2 change the water each week still ?? do I hav 2 worry about pH for coldwater??

C W

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You still have to acclimate your new fish to your water and do water tests. Your not getting off that easy fella .
Once they get to know you they are very interactive. I have one(don't remember what kind it is) that goes outside in the summer and inside in the winter and he alway comes to the top when I come near. Begger!!!
Carol

New Threads