Keeping endlers with fancy guppies? Question

1. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Hi, I will probably be buying some pure endless from a local breeder. I am planning on putting them in my 20 gallon which is already occupied by some fancy guppies. I know they can breed and I really don't want them to, I would like to keep the bloodlines pure. I could divide the tank but then each species would only have 1 square foot of space to themselves and this would most likely not do wonders for the females.

My question: Will the endless and guppies crossbreed?

2. smee82 Well Known Member Member

they will definitely xbreed and if your paying extra for pure endlers i wouldn't put them in a tank with guppies divided or not as both are jumpers. There is no way you could be sure of any of the fry even if you didnt see a guppy in with the endlers or vice versa.

3. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

I may take my guppies back to the store as they have not been doing well. (the males have been getting sick a lot, I think it might have something to do with inbreeding.) I feel bad though, they haven't done anything wrong.

So I couldn't keep them separated with a floor to ceiling divider with holes small enough to be fry proof?

4. smee82 Well Known Member Member

I personally wouldn't risk it with pure endlers that i wanted to breed for my self or sell. You couldn't honestly sell any to anyone as pure endlers as you couldn't guarantee it

However if you don't want to sell the offspring and don't mind that the fry aren't pure endlers id go for it

5. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Take it from me, keep them in separate rooms in your home if you want to be absolutely sure :p

6. emeraldking Member Member

Well, it's very simple! Yes, they interbreed! So, keep them together or seperate depending on the question if you like to have hybrids or not. For be sure that once a female (endler or even an endler) is fertilized by a male, the female will be able to get pregnant 2 till even 7 times by the semen of that specific male. After that she's clean again as we call it. So, it's matter of time when you're able to use such a female again with the proper male in order to get the right offspring again.

If I use a female of a pure strain to hybridize with another strain (guppy or endler), this female will be expelled from the pure strain for good. Just in order to guarantee that the pure line will stay intact.

Take care,
    "S"