Keeping Bloodworms

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Cholo Anderzon, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Cholo Anderzon

Cholo AnderzonValued MemberMember

I bought just a small amount of bloodworms. I just want to try them out.
    But I didn't feed them immediately and rather I put them in a jar (with lid). Just dicided to feed them to the fishes after a couple of days but the water inside the jar turns darker and when I open the it, it reeks so bad that I decided to close the jar immediately and put it away thinking that they might be harmful for the fishes already. And here I thought they be just fine in a watered jar as they are water dwelling larvae but they all probably just died (probably because of lack of oxygen).

Are they really dead?
    Are they really not fit to be feed to the fishes?
    Can I really stack bloodworms or do I really have to feed them to the fishes right after I bought them?
    If they can be stack, how do I do it properly?

Thanks..

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  2. Wet Pets

Wet PetsNew MemberMember

Fishes love blood worms , i blood worms in my HOB filter for weeks, the worms lived in my filter sponge feeding of the fish waste , but the filter have to be running at low speed,

3. OP
    OP
    Cholo Anderzon

So I can pour numerous bloodworms in the tank without over feeding the fishes?
    How about my reeking bloodworms, are they as good as trash now or I can still feed them?
    Thanks..

4. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

Common sense says you are smelling decomposition. The insects died from a lack of oxygen, so into the recycling/compost they go. You smothered them with a sealed jar.
    What did you mean by "with lead"? Were you planning to make them toxic for your fishes?

5. KaderTheAnt

KaderTheAntWell Known MemberMember

With a lid? Or with lead...?

6. OP
    OP
    Cholo Anderzon

Hehe.. Sorry my bad.. XD

7. OP
    OP
    Cholo Anderzon

Are you sure this will be fine?
    I hope my fishes won't die in eating so much.

I bought another batch of fresh bloodworms and put all of them in the tank at once and my fishes go crazy swarming all over it!. I just hope their bellies won't pop up of fullness and die.

IMG_20170424_215542.jpgIMG_20170424_215515.jpg
    IMG_20170424_215512.jpg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  8. Wet Pets

Wet PetsNew MemberMember

Like any food , don't over feed ,

9. OP
    OP
    Cholo Anderzon

They ate it all!. and here I thought some bloodworms will be left and stay on the tank for few days and I won't have to feed the fishes for a while until the bloodworms were all eaten but it only takes them about thirty minutes or less and the worms were all finished!.
    I'm so worried that I might be waking up seeing my fishes floating belly up because of eating so much.
    Thanks God they're all seems alright this morning.

Is this really the way to keep and/or feed the bloodworms?
    Do fishes really finish all bloodworms you put in the tank, won't it be bad for the fishes to eat beyond their limit since there's food on sight?

Thanks..

10. Wet Pets

Wet PetsNew MemberMember

Sorry for the late reply , when you feed your fish they should eat it out within 5 minutes max , if your fish took 30 minutes, you are over feeding them by five times the amount, :)

11. OP
    OP
    Cholo Anderzon

Oh.. Is that the general rule.. Heheh.. Thanks.. :)

By the way, how often do I have to feed the fishes per day?.. Thank you..

12. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

I buy a heap of blood worms then just freeze them you dont need to feed all of them in one go.

13. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

I buy a heap of blood worms then just freeze them you dont need to feed all of them in one go.

14. OP
    OP
    Cholo Anderzon

Ohh... ..
    That make sense.. XD
    Thanks..

15. Wet Pets

Wet PetsNew MemberMember

For feeding fishes, 3 minutes eating is good, 5 minutes max,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice