Keeping Betta Entertained

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Nightshadethebetta, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Nightshadethebetta

Nightshadethebetta Valued Member Member

What are some good ways to keep a Betta entertained while you’re away? I try to interact and play with my little guy as much as possible everyday before and after work. But what can I get him that will keep him busy while I’m away? Thanks!! :)

2. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Get him a pinpong ball, or one of those treasure chest/shell things that open every 20 seconds and spit out bubbles.

Otherwise, he's fine being left alone, but can I just say that your concern with him being bored while you away made me smile. :) :) That betta is in good hands.

3. OP
    OP
    Nightshadethebetta

Thanks so much for your quick reply!! I absolutely love and adore my little Betta and want him to be happy :)

4. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Get some cherry shrimp or small ghost shrimp to hunt. I tossed some brown cherries in a planted 10gal for my betta to eat but so far all are accounted for plus many babies. The betta spends more time flaring at the snails than hunting for shrimp.

5. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

Agreed. :):) It's lovely to see your concern for him. :p I'm pretty new to bettas, but I did just upgrade my betta from a rather plain 5g to a 7-gallon tank with some rocks forming a cave, and a bunch of new plants. I just tried to offer him a few different areas I thought he'd like to have. He really did become a different fish. :) I love to see him exploring the rocks and stem plants, or resting in the cave or in the floating plants.

I also just added a nerite snail. The betta notices him and seems to find some interest, but doesn't get aggressive with the snail. I'm soon to test out shrimp too. I'll start with a small ghost shrimp and see how the betta reacts. If he's pretty docile, I'll move the ghost and try to get away with cherries. :)

6. OP
    OP
    Nightshadethebetta

Thank you!! :) I’m new to Betta Fish as well! They are such fun and sweet creatures. I’ve tried to fill my tank with plenty of plants and he goes exploring every little bit! I love the idea of adding ghost shrimp. I hope your Betta finds some interest in it! :)

7. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I haven’t seen my bettas getting bored, they just swim around all day.
    How exactly do you play with your betta?

8. CraniumRex

CraniumRex Well Known Member Member

Call me silly but I have a few objects I leave outside the tank and I rotate them between my boys. Small things, like eye drops bottles or one of my kid's figurines, that sort of thing.

Changing the decor can often pique their interest as well. Live floating plants are always enjoyed. They move around and change the scenery without much effort and they seem to love to swim through them and rest on them.

9. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

I don't think that's silly at all. :) I sometimes carry my cup over with me to watch the tank and set it down right next to the glass. The betta definitely checks it out every time. :)

10. Keith P Mccoy

Keith P Mccoy New Member Member

I used to want my betta to play and habe buddies till he murdered all my guppies, now I'm just thinking about putting him in a smaller tank.

11. Keith P Mccoy

Keith P Mccoy New Member Member

He is beautiful but deadly.

12. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Big tank with friends. They entertain themselves. Lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice