Keeping Betta Alive For Years?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Kesh88, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Kesh88

Kesh88 Valued Member Member

How on Earth to y'all keep betta alive for 5+ years?!

In almost 5 years of keeping betta I've only ever had one last 2.5 years, all the others die within 1.5-2 years. I've even read posts saying that if they die before 2 years it's not normal and that they should last for at least 4 years if you are keeping them properly.

What am I doing wrong?!

2. Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

I can't give any advice on the matter, I just got mine barely a month ago.
    But something to take into account is how old they are when you get them. Also to take into account how they are bred, if there was a lot of inbreeding or mistreatment, it would make the fish not able to live as long.

3. OP
    OP
    Kesh88

True, it's probably impossible to tell where they come from through the local fish store I get them from.

4. Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

Especially if it's a chain store. I got mine from a locally owned shop that has local breeders. (or at least that's what they say) But I would say that's the major factor is their family tree. Phantom is already adult size (I think) so I'm anxious to see how long he lives. He's so pretty and I love him so much.

5. OP
    OP
    Kesh88

Mine isn't a chain, the owner is a quite straight-to-the-point Chinese guy, and by the looks it's a family run store. I haven't asked where they source their fish from.

6. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I haven't had any luck with getting my betta to live past 380 days.

7. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

The oldest one I ever had was right around 3 years old. The rest were 2- 2 1/2 years. And these were in well kept 10 gallon and up aquariums.

8. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Some of them live for a long while, some just can't hold up to that long of a time. It depends on their genetics and most pet stores and chain stores have the same suppliers unless they are getting from local breeders, but the local breeders could just have gotten the parent fish from the chain store.
    The oldest one i have had was 2.5 years old, he caught an infection I wasn't able to stop and passed, otherwise he likely would have another half year before passing.

9. p

palmtrees New Member Member

Bettas last much longer when they have a heated and filtered tank. Many people think it's ok to stick them in a tiny unfiltered bowl, but they need plenty of room to swim, places to hide, and a variety of food (pellets, bloodworms) to keep them happy and healthy. Also, overfeeding is a common problem. Just remember their stomach is only as big as their eye and it will reduce the likeliness of overfeeding. I also should mention that keeping a close eye on your fish and noticing as soon as any illness develops and beginning treatment as soon as possible definitely affects their lifespan.

10. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Considering that the majority of bettas are bred overseas, usually in very different water chemistry, and who known if they were bred with siblings, parents, cousins and over how many generations, their genetic makeup may play are large role in how long they live. Plus, being shipped over seas in tiny bags and the stress of being cupped for days/weeks before being bought could also be shortening their life span.

In theory, locally raised betta might live longer because they were raised in the water parameters they will be kept in for the majority of their life. If they were fed and cared for properly they should live a good 5 years or more. The oldest betta I've got is fading fast and she's about 3 years old. Doesn't appear to have an illness, she's just eating less and moving less, so she looks like a thin old lady. The majority of my pet store bettas only lived a meager 1-2 years at most, though that was in my younger days when I was still a noob.

I've got several bettas born and raised in my house so they are used to my hard water with a high pH. We'll see how well they do in the long run. So far they're 6 months old (?) and going strong.

11. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

My 5 oldest i have had for 2 years and 4 months now. The rest vary in age. So far i only lost 2 but that was to my own stupidy. Dont take the bottom off your filter intake to clean it with out unplugging the filter. They are petco bettas so im sure not the best quality but no issues so far.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice