keeping baby guppies alive

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by orangedude8, Jul 20, 2013.

1. orangedude8

orangedude8Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    4 years
    recently my two female guppies are firing babies out like a machine gun. honestly, at first i put the babies in a container within the aquarium as for every other fish were trying to have a bite! regret it so much, within 2 months i had 20 babys in this container, so i chucked them all back in..now there too big to be eaten. i only have a 40L tank fully cycled just now and its pretty crammed. even now i have at least 27 babies 3 months on. its ridiculous.

so lesson for all those people who are in the same boat i was in, leave them for food for mummy and daddy. circle of life i guess.

2. fishynoob

fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    4 years
    I do have tanks bigger than yours and I do agree you should let the parents do as they would in the wild and let some babies get eaten. You can help by having a larger fish in your tank if you have the room.

My main hobby at the moment is selectively breeding which fish are allowed to mate (by separating the males from females and only letting certain ones meet) and keeping the most interesting colourations. It's a fun passtime which means I shouldn't have to buy another livebearer for a long time with luck. But you do need several tanks and it's not for everyone. They are pretty to look at though.

My advice as this will probably get out of hand... is to either
    A) get a bigger tank and some fish with bigger mouths who are less likely to leave tiny fish around for very long (if you catch my drift)
    B) stick with what you are doing but ask lfs or friends with tanks to take the babies from you. You wont really get anything much for the babies maybe a bit of store credit or a few pennies but better that than having a very crowed tank!

You heard the saying breed like rabbits? More like Breed like Live bearers!

3. OP
    OP
    orangedude8

orangedude8Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    4 years
    agreed! i have a 110L tank cycling just now so hopefully that will be ready soon! cheers for the advice!

4. goofster

goofsterValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    Good luck!

I am having the opposite problem. To many babies surviving. I have a lot of plants. Pretty thick vegetation and plenty of hiding spots. I just recently removed half my floating plants because it was to much. Plants grow so quickly I should start selling them. >.>

Needless to say I'm finding it harder and harder to find homes for them. So be careful what you wish fore.