Keeping Angelfish Pairs with Other Fish Types

gabessdsp

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey everybody, I am new to the forum and I had a question I haven't been able to find an answer on. I know Angelfish pairs should be kept away form other Angelfish, but what about the other fish in my tank? I want to get Angelfish sometime soon but am concerned if they form a mating pair I might have to move them to their very own secluded tank away from everybody else.

Should I only buy two Angelfish, or is there a way where I could only get males/females so that way I could avoid this problem?

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It is a 55G tank, 48x13

Current stock is:
7 MTS
7 Zebra Danios
4 Giant Danios
3 Oto's
1 Bristlenose Plec
15 Red Cherry Shrimp

Have a variety of live plants in the tank
If you do want them to pair off, it's recommended to get a few juvies and let them pair off on their own. I don't think you'll have an issue with aggression but if they do spawn, the parents will keep the others away from the eggs. I think as long as you have enough plants and hardscape to break their sight lines and make the pair feel comfortable enough, you'll be fine. If they feel threatened, they may eat their eggs, especially as new parents.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My angelfish breeding pairs have only bothered other angels in the tank. I have never seen them show aggression with NON angelfish. But you never know!!

As for purchasing just males, or just females....it is IMPOSSIBLE to sex and angelfish 100% until the pair up and spawn. Going off of the typical gender traits is incredibly unreliable in my experience!

If you get your two angels while they are juvies, you will have quite a while before you have to worry about them potentially pairing up. They also do better in community tanks in general when introduced as juvies vs. adults. :)

gabessdsp

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you do want them to pair off, it's recommended to get a few juvies and let them pair off on their own. I don't think you'll have an issue with aggression but if they do spawn, the parents will keep the others away from the eggs. I think as long as you have enough plants and hardscape to break their sight lines and make the pair feel comfortable enough, you'll be fine. If they feel threatened, they may eat their eggs, especially as new parents.
Yeah, I don't necessarily want them to pair up. I am not looking to breed mt Angels but they are just a gorgeous fish I wish I had. Back when I started Fish keeping I jumped the gun and my angelfish died rather fast, now that I am more experienced it makes me over-worried i suppose.

My angelfish breeding pairs have only bothered other angels in the tank. I have never seen them show aggression with NON angelfish. But you never know!!

As for purchasing just males, or just females....it is IMPOSSIBLE to sex and angelfish 100% until the pair up and spawn. Going off of the typical gender traits is incredibly unreliable in my experience!

If you get your two angels while they are juvies, you will have quite a while before you have to worry about them potentially pairing up. They also do better in community tanks in general when introduced as juvies vs. adults. :)
Good to know, I'll probably go and get 2-4 Juvies that I like at my LFS sometime in the next few weeks.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, I don't necessarily want them to pair up. I am not looking to breed mt Angels but they are just a gorgeous fish I wish I had. Back when I started Fish keeping I jumped the gun and my angelfish died rather fast, now that I am more experienced it makes me over-worried i suppose.

Good to know, I'll probably go and get 2-4 Juvies that I like at my LFS sometime in the next few weeks.
If breeding is not your end goal....you should just get two at the most....

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Why's that?
because when they are full grown, that is too many for a 55 if you have no other tanks or back-up plans to separate them if need be.

I have 4 adult angels in one of my 55s and it is very cramped IMO. And that is with no other middle swimming fish! I have often had to move angels around my many tanks due to aggression issues that develop. I have the ability to do that because I have so many tanks....most people can't do that.....

I promise you that if you get 4 angels, you WILL be having to get rid of a couple of them one day when they get bigger.....if you are ok with that, and you have a place to bring them when that day comes....then go for it.

But never do 3 angels. That is a bad number. One always get's left out and could end up being bullied by the other two.

edit: adult angels will also possibly eat your shrimp....fyi

gabessdsp

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
because when they are full grown, that is too many for a 55 if you have no other tanks or back-up plans to separate them if need be.

I have 4 adult angels in one of my 55s and it is very cramped IMO. And that is with no other middle swimming fish! I have often had to move angels around my many tanks due to aggression issues that develop. I have the ability to do that because I have so many tanks....most people can't do that.....

I promise you that if you get 4 angels, you WILL be having to get rid of a couple of them one day when they get bigger.....if you are ok with that, and you have a place to bring them when that day comes....then go for it.

But never do 3 angels. That is a bad number. One always get's left out and could end up being bullied by the other two.

edit: adult angels will also possibly eat your shrimp....fyi

Ahh okay...will stick to two then until I get my bigger tank in a year or two.

and yeah I am aware of that, by the time they grow up though the shrimp population will probably be stable enough though that I wouldn't mind a handful of them being eaten.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom