Keeping And Breeding Apisto Cacatuoides With A High Ph

mjryan

Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently setting up a 33 gallon long planted tank and want to try keeping a breeding pair or 2 of apistos. The only issue I have is my PH is 7.6 from the tap. Will these fish be able to live comfortable and breed in alkaline water like mine? If not what is a safe way to lower my ph? I really want to get some fry. The tank isn't even cycled yet as I'm still waiting on a canister filter and heater. I have read these fish are more adaptable to a higher ph and harder water, but I want to be sure. I've always kept Africans and still have a colony of multifasciatus. If they are out of the question is there any other south or central American cichlid I could breed in a 4 ft 33 long planted tank?
Thanks, Matt.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Don’t worry about your pH, it’s very unreliable for breeding. Get yourself a TDS meter.

ktorg

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mjryan said:
Hello,
I am currently setting up a 33 gallon long planted tank and want to try keeping a breeding pair or 2 of apistos. The only issue I have is my PH is 7.6 from the tap. Will these fish be able to live comfortable and breed in alkaline water like mine? If not what is a safe way to lower my ph? I really want to get some fry. The tank isn't even cycled yet as I'm still waiting on a canister filter and heater. I have read these fish are more adaptable to a higher ph and harder water, but I want to be sure. I've always kept Africans and still have a colony of multifasciatus. If they are out of the question is there any other south or central American cichlid I could breed in a 4 ft 33 long planted tank?
Thanks, Matt.
A. cacatuoides will be just fine in pH 7.6, especially the domestic strains. I have bred them in even higher pH than that. They are awesome fish and some of my favorite. I would highly recommend them.

New Threads