Keeping And Breeding Apisto Cacatuoides With A High Ph

Discussion in 'Cockatoo Cichlid' started by mjryan, Apr 17, 2019.

1. mjryanValued MemberMember

Hello,
    I am currently setting up a 33 gallon long planted tank and want to try keeping a breeding pair or 2 of apistos. The only issue I have is my PH is 7.6 from the tap. Will these fish be able to live comfortable and breed in alkaline water like mine? If not what is a safe way to lower my ph? I really want to get some fry. The tank isn't even cycled yet as I'm still waiting on a canister filter and heater. I have read these fish are more adaptable to a higher ph and harder water, but I want to be sure. I've always kept Africans and still have a colony of multifasciatus. If they are out of the question is there any other south or central American cichlid I could breed in a 4 ft 33 long planted tank?
    Thanks, Matt.

2. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Don’t worry about your pH, it’s very unreliable for breeding. Get yourself a TDS meter.

3. ktorgValued MemberMember

A. cacatuoides will be just fine in pH 7.6, especially the domestic strains. I have bred them in even higher pH than that. They are awesome fish and some of my favorite. I would highly recommend them.