Keeping A Tank Cool

BlackOsprey

My brother's setting up a 20 gal long tank for an axolotl, and we're running into a bit of a problem: it's too darned hot around here. Axies apparently need water temperatures around 65 degress Fahrenheit, and the best we've been able to do (with a glass lid and an aquarium fan) is 71 degrees. We'd very much like to avoid buying a chiller (those things are unreasonably expensive), so what are some other ways to cool the water down?

Lunnietic

Some people use small usb fans to cool down the tank.

BlackOsprey

Yeah I know. We're already using fans.

aussieJJDude

Frozen bottles of water can be used in a pinch.

Is there any room in the house that's cool? That could work if you relocate them there, or maybe increase surface agitation.

Or do daily waterchanges with cold tap (or fridge) water, if needed you could set up a drip system using ice in a large container, as it melts it drips into the tank.

AntsRule

Put it in the basement if its the right temp maybe

BlackOsprey

Frozen bottles of water can be used in a pinch.

Is there any room in the house that's cool? That could work if you relocate them there, or maybe increase surface agitation.

Or do daily waterchanges with cold tap (or fridge) water, if needed you could set up a drip system using ice in a large container, as it melts it drips into the tank.
Axies are super sensitive to temperature fluctuations so we're avoiding that option unless absolutely necessary.

My mom's super weird about animals and doesn't want any fishtanks (especially ones containing weird-looking salamanders that eat live worms) downstairs. I was thinking of using an airstone strip in the back... a single normal airstone seemed to help, so would a larger one cool the water more?

And god I wish we had a basement where we could keep our fish... instead we have garages that get ridiculously hot in already unbearable Texas summers... not that we keep anything in them. All our tanks are upstairs.

aussieJJDude

Even a frozen bottle of water near the fan intake could work. But I don't think multiple airstones (or a large one) will help much tbh....

IMO, I don't think its extremely damaging at the temp you are keeping them, as long as its not 75F or over I don't think there's too much concern. Just ensure they have lots of surface agitation to keep O2 levels high...

Rojer Ramjet

Fans will only cool the water to slightly less (no more than one degree less - physics stuff having to do with entropy and specific heat) than the ambient temperature of the room it is in.

I know Texas; it routinely gets over 105; when I lived there (and Arizona, and So-Cal desert) the temperature of my home was about 80; just cost too much to keep it any cooler.

There are chiller alternatives; there are Peltier Junction tank coolers; they work reasonably well and are affordable; they do use a fair amount of electricity, though; no such thing as a free lunch, right?

I won't recommend a brand, though; they're all made in China, and I'm against Chinese goods.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Crimson_687
Replies
Views
Goldfishfreak
Replies
Views
FishDin
Replies
Views