Keeping a small tank warm?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by PythonTheBetta, Jul 3, 2016.

1. PythonTheBetta

PythonTheBetta Valued Member Member

Python is currently in a 0.7 gallon tank. She was not a planed "rescue" and my first fish. This is an upgrade from the small hex tank she came to me in. I have a 10 gallon but it's not set up yet as I don't have the appropriate piece of furniture to put it on yet. I know this isn't an ideal set up but it's only temporary so please don't go on a long rant about proper betta care.

My question is how can I keep the tank a little warmer? It usually stays at about 78-82F and occasionally 84, since that's the temperature of the house. But the last few days have been chilly(in July?! crazy, I know) and the tank is dropping down to 74-76(which is warmer than the house is) I've been keeping the light above the tank on but is there anything else I can do?
    (doing a fish-in cycle right now is not possible and something I'm not comfortable doing even if it was possible to do currently)

2. BettaChuck

BettaChuck Valued Member Member

I honestly can't think of a way to keep a tank that small SAFELY heated. Is there any chance you can get the cheapest 2.5 gallon available tank? Not some set with hood, light, filter etc, just a plain ol' 2-2.5 maybe 3 gallon tank like  . That one you could safely heat with a 25 w adjustable heater. Until you get the 10 gal up and running. This is what I would do at least. Good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    PythonTheBetta

Unfortunately I don't think my mom would go for buying yet another tank. I was afraid that would be the only option. But thank you for the idea! Would a 25 watt be enough for a 10 gallon as well? I do plan on buying a heater for the big tank

4. S

Subha92 Valued Member Member

The only thing i would suggest you to make an external DIY airpump powerd filter that works like a Canister. Put that external filter into a heater with thermostat to make the temperature under control. That is the only way to make the temperature a little bit hight with a controlled manner in such a small aquarium.
    Try to search for making DIY canister filter powered by a air pump.
    Best of Luck

5. BettaChuck

BettaChuck Valued Member Member

For a 10 gal I would honestly go with a 50w heater(of course adjustable one, always get an adjustable one). I have a 25w in my 7gal and I can see it "struggling" at times and plan on switching to a 50w one. See what others have to say too though.

6. OP
    OP
    PythonTheBetta

The instruction manual with the 10g said 50w but it also said to put 2 goldfish or 2 plecos or 1 goldfish 1 pleco in a 5 gallon tank. so I figured I'd double check on the heater

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice