keeping a newt with a betta

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by kidster9700, Aug 3, 2015.

1. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

Okay, so first off, what i'm asking about is not aggression issues (i can test that out myself and see if its okay, as some people have had success and some people haven't) BUT i'm concerned because i think fire belly newts might release some toxins that may poison my betta! i'm asking because i'm getting one from my friend, with the tank, but he has it in a 10 turned vertical (why, i'm not sure) and i wanted it to have more swimming space. i only have space for the 5.5 that i'm moving my betta in to and i can't buy any more tanks, so if not the newt will still have a home.
    if anyone has had experience with this, let me know! or even just experience with making a tall enclosure have more "ground space" because it only holds like a gallon or two of water, and i don't want to use up the swimming space to give it "land"

2. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

NEVERMIND found out they don't even have the same TEMP requirements lol. I need to chill out with the pets. I have 7 fish tanks and 3 terrariums and I'm living rent free (for now) at my parents house. I was also told "stop buying tanks!" By my dad (so even though I was getting the tank for free...) I shouldn't push my luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. junebugFishlore LegendMember

To answer your question, should others come across this thread, I'm pretty sure newts have toxic skin and as such would not be good tankmates for fish. If humans can't touch them, it's a fair bet fish can't either. Most amphibians can't even be kept with other amphibian species because of the toxins in their skin (and aggression issues).

Not to mention there would be a serious risk of the betta attacking the newt's appendages.

4. _Fried_Bettas_Well Known MemberMember

Thread reminded me of my brother when we were young. He had a terrarium of carnivorous plants and put a newt in with the plants. Newt ended up being eaten by a pitcher plant.

5. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I touch newts and I'm fine....
    But yeah, they wouldn't work together.

6. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

Yeah some newts are very mildy poisonous. I did enough research to find that there's basically no way haha.

7. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Ah, OK. Well I appear to be immune then. Or the ones I touch don't do anything/aren't poisonous.... I was bitten by a venemous snake before....

8. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

That's terrible and funny at the same time...

And I would think an amphibian would be likely to eat a betta more than the betta going after it.

9. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Betta won't fit in a fire belly newt's mouth. But I'm betting the betta would love trying to eat the newt's toes. LOL.

10. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

I missed that it was a fire belly. Still so many reasons not to do this though.

11. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

Yeah. I told my friend he should keep his newt. I think it's better under his care anyways.