Keeping a juvenile Oscar in a Smaller tank until bigger tank cycles

BVUBeavers

So I have a 30G tank with 6 Tiger Barbs, several corys and three plecos.
I will be starting my 90G cycling next weekend.
My LFS has a 2-3" Lemon Oscar I REALLY want and I don't see in the shop very often.
Is it safe to buy him and put him in the 30G for the short term until the 90G is cycled?
As soon as it is cycled I will move him (or her) to the 90, as well as introduce 2 blue acaras and 2 firemouths.
Long term I might add some porthole catfish just so there is not a bunch of open space.
Oops forgot I also have a 3" Rainbow Shark in the 30G which will be moving to the 90. He pretty much just protects his cave and gnaws on driftwood.

Ouse

Does your LFS reserve fish for customers? Mine does. If yours does, better and safer to take this approach. The fish could wreak havoc in the 30 gallon for all we know.

awilkinson871

I would not risk it. Even a 2-3" Oscar can tear up corys or worse, they could get stuck in the Oscar mouth with their fin spines causing injuries to both.

BVUBeavers

Well I got my 75G cycled and it now holds a 5" and a 6" striped raphael as well as two medium sized firemouths. My larger oscar is still a bit small to move in but he has already grown from 2.5" to 4" in a little over a month. I had a yellow oscar that was given to me but he died - probably for the best as he was failing to thrive in the smaller tank. The red is growing by leaps and bounds and is always trying to convince me to feed him more - such a great personality. Once he hits 5" he's moving on up to the big tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
75 Gallon Tank Tank mate suggestions
Replies
Views
JaidWS
Replies
Views
usx8
Replies
Views
IntegralGuy