Keeping a Golden Gourami in a Ten Gallon.

1. metal_fish Member Member

I returned my danios at my LFS looking to get another Gourami suitable for a Ten Gallon. I was unaware Blue gouramis were the same species as Gold Gouramis. The store had the golden gouramis listed 10 gallon min and 4" maximum length.

Now I have done the research yikes! Am I able to keep the fish in a 10 gallon successfully? Its about 2 inches now.

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't recommend it. You should stick to dwarf gouramis or other small gouramis. Your gold gourami will need a minimum of 20 gallons (although a 29 would be much better) IMO.

3. kloseo Well Known Member Member

I agree with harpua, the gold and blue spotted gouramis are much more aggressive than the dwarf honey gouramis. the gold also grow to about 6 inches

4. metal_fish Member Member

I bought a 29 gallon for him.

5. Neji Member Member

I doubt keeping a gold gourami in a 10 gallon tank would be good. I've kept blue gouramis in my 29 gallon tanks before and I have a bunch of other bigger tanks too. The Blue and Gold gouramis will grow larger than 4" I've had lavender gouramis before and they too are said to grow up to the same size as the Blue and Golden Gourami.

You can keep Dwarf Gourami species :) they don't grow that big, and you can probably keep 1 male dwarf gourami, and 1 male dwarf honey gourami along with a few other small tetras would be good.