Keeping a Betta Outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would like to keep my betta fish in his aquarium outside on my balcony. I have a heater in the tank just in case it gets nippy, and on really hot days I can bring him indoors, or apply a cold pack to the side of the aquarium. I rarely get direct sunlight because of the way the building is turned.

Does anyone have experience with putting aquariums outside?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
a few of mine go out in the summer also...especially when we have parties I put my 3g or 5g on the middle of the table LOL ...as long as you dont have heat fluctuating, you are fine make sure there is a cover for bugs and such as well...and also, make sure you have no stray cats in the yard!

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Personally, I think that the betta would be happy to have a few insects land in the tank
But seriously, Shawnie's probably right. A betta might bite off more than he can chew, like with a wasp or something.
Protect the aquarium from cats (and raccoons and other predators), and you'll be good.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally, I think that the betta would be happy to have a few insects land in the tank
But seriously, Shawnie's probably right. A betta might bite off more than he can chew, like with a wasp or something.
Protect the aquarium from cats (and raccoons and other predators), and you'll be good.
the "biting off more than they SHOULD chew" was more of my worry...never thought about a wasp or something....but I keep them covered either way

OP
kreuztraeger

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was thinking he might enjoy eating some insects too!

I understand about temperature fluctuations on the cold side - that's why I added the heater. It's really the opposite that I'm concerned about. I live in the deep south so summer days often get up into the high 90s. How hot is too hot for a betta though? 95 degrees F? 100 degrees F?

I know my betta can withstand 90 degrees because I had a slightly malfunctioning heater in its tank and he didn't seem any the worse for wear - I just kept a thermometer in the tank and checked it every hour or so to make sure the temperature wasn't fluctuating.

Since Bettas come from Thailand I would assume they can withstand a little heat. (Source for climate info: http://www.travelfish.org/thailand-weather.php) The temperature where I live usually varies about 20 degrees F every day, sometimes as much as 30 degrees F, but temperature fluctuations are usually pretty slow - no more than a few degrees per hour.

Last edited:

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
But bees/wasps will sometimes land in water and get trapped. It used to happen all the time in my swimming pool when I was a kid. Same with beetles, etc...
It's not likely that the betta would get hurt, but it's a possibility, and one that's pretty easy to avoid (just cover the aquarium).

Being on the second floor is a good defense against cats, though.

OP
kreuztraeger

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
But bees/wasps will sometimes land in water and get trapped. It used to happen all the time in my swimming pool when I was a kid. Same with beetles, etc...
It's not likely that the betta would get hurt, but it's a possibility, and one that's pretty easy to avoid (just cover the aquarium).

Being on the second floor is a good defense against cats, though.
What about high temperatures? I'd really like to know how much heat a betta can take without ill effects - since summer days in the southern US sometimes make it into the lower 100s, or for those of you who live outside America, around 40 degrees C.

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Not sure if a betta would be happy that high. Mine is in a tank which gets to 33C. I have noticed he's not quite so happy when it's up that high, so I try keep it lower with ice. Not many fish like temps as high as 40 as far as I know. I'm making a cichlid tank just because they don't mind higher temps, but even they don't like as high as 40.

OP
kreuztraeger

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not sure if a betta would be happy that high. Mine is in a tank which gets to 33C. I have noticed he's not quite so happy when it's up that high, so I try keep it lower with ice. Not many fish like temps as high as 40 as far as I know. I'm making a cichlid tank just because they don't mind higher temps, but even they don't like as high as 40.
I too have noticed my betta acting a bit lethargic at higher temperatures - which is why I was wondering about it. I added an air pump to keep the water oxygenated as much as possible, though I'm not sure to what extent that will help increase his temperature tolerance. I'm thinking that on really hot days I might just bring him indoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.3%

Top Bottom