Keeping 2 Oscars in a 75 gallon?

Preston Landolt
So some of you may already have seen some of my other threads about Oscars because I’ve made a few recently but I have a few other questions. Here’s a quick picture of my 75 gallon right now.

7f9f1c176ac69f92efb86b47ef9fede8.jpg
That little speck in there is my Oscar. I understand that 75 gallons is arguably the minimum tank size for one of these guys. But it’s very empty right now and it will be for close to a year until the Oscar really fills out. Would it be a very bad idea to get a second Oscar for this tank? Obviously petsmart employees are just trying to make a sale, but the one I want to was very informed on his fish. He hated the fact that the tank size they recommended was 40 gallons, but there was nothing he could do about that. He claimed that if I could keep 2 Oscars in my 75 gallon with not a ton of strain on the two fish. Obviously I could be unlucky and get two 17 inch Oscars and That would be a mess, but relocating would not be a problem for me if It came down to it. I honestly just want a good looking tank with healthy and happy fish. Here’s a picture of my lovely Oscar, Odin
bef6618e829f6f79c5f59f7fb0c4a3ba.jpg

BuddyD
I've always heard just one per tank, but how do they breed just one per tank?

I'm curious what other fish can they live with?
I'm not buying a large tank for just one fish.

Preston Landolt
I've always heard just one per tank, but how do they breed just one per tank?

I'm curious what other fish can they live with?
I'm not buying a large tank for just one fish.

Obviously you can’t breed Oscars in just one tank. I think they can live with Severums. I’ll refer you to this YouTube link where it talks about this.

Preston Landolt
I’ve also seen them with silver dollars.
I’m really only interested in keeping Oscars so I haven’t done ally of research on this topic.

VeiltailKing
He may be a speck now, but he will be a very large bowling ball in no time lol

Preston Landolt
He may be a speck now, but he will be a very large bowling ball in no time lol

Seemingly

Discus-Tang
Are you planning on an upgrade? 75 is actually very small for an Oscar, considering their potential size (up to 18").

Preston Landolt
Are you planning on an upgrade? 75 is actually very small for an Oscar, considering their potential size (up to 18").

The average size of an Oscar is only 12 to 14 inches. I mean people can be 7 ft tall but it doesn’t mean we need to change the size of the door frame.

Discus-Tang
The average size of an Oscar is only 12 to 14 inches. I mean people can be 7 ft tall but it doesn’t mean we need to change the size of the door frame.
What are the dimensions of your tank?

Preston Landolt
It’s 48L x 18H x 21W

Just reconsidering what I said. 2 Oscars in a 75 gallon when they are say, 4 yrs old would be very cramped. By that time I do plan on getting either another 75 or a 125 depending on the circumstances. But I don’t think relying on this is the best idea.

But for the meantime I feel like I would be able to have another Oscar. As I stated previously, relocating an Oscar is not very difficult for me. I could also sell it through Craigslist like I did when I moved hours away and couldn’t take the fish I had with me

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
OscarHoya
Replies
Views
cpgarry
Replies
Views
JGombs99
Replies
Views