How Do I Keep the cycle going?

Sarah86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi everyone. My gorgeous little Betta boy Finley died today & I’m so sad :-( He had a bad bout of fin/body rot a couple of months back but I treated with KanaPlex & he recovered really well. He’s been great & very happy up until yesterday when he was a little lethargic & didn’t have much appetite last night. He was very quiet & wouldn’t eat at all this morning. I came home from work to find he’d passed away :-( My husband had only checked on him 30 mins before.
I’m not sure why as his water parameters are fine (0,0,5) with a stable ph at 7.2. Temp 80. His finrot never fully went away but wasn’t at its worst & there was nothing else visible on his body. His stomach looked more bloated than usual but no pine coning so don’t think it was dropsy.
I’m unsure about what to do next but I don’t want to let his tank & filter go incase I decide to get another Betta in the near future. So how do I keep the cycle going & BB alive?
I have some bottled ammonia from the fishless cycle so if I dosed 1ppm of ammonia per day would that work? & how long would this keep the tank cycling for? Indefinitely?
Also because I’m unsure of why Finley died would a new Fish be at risk of infection from his tank?
Thank you, Sarah

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm sorry for your loss.

Yes, if you keep dosing back up to 1ppm ammonia, you can keep your cycle going indefinitely.

I personally wouldn't worry about putting a new fish in the tank. I don't think there is any need to sterilize it first

OP
Sarah86

Sarah86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jdhef said:
I'm sorry for your loss.

Yes, if you keep dosing back up to 1ppm ammonia, you can keep your cycle going indefinitely.

I personally wouldn't worry about putting a new fish in the tank. I don't think there is any need to sterilize it first
Thank you. I’m going to wait at least a couple of weeks & do some water changes. So hopefully that’ll be enough time for any nasties to disappear anyway

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom