Keep Tetras Or Rehome Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jacee, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Jacee

Jacee New Member Member

Ok so here is my story... Never done tropicals so we went crazy... maybe over board unsure... I first goofed and didnt research my fish and my lovely pet store told me and sold me like um 1 tetra poor things anyways i have 4 random tetras in my tank will post pics.. I have 55 gallon.. I now have learned that they may not go well with what i have going on.. mollies,guppies,palties,and swordtails... what should I do!! Heres what I currently have..2 black skirt tetra 2 swordtails 4 zebra dianos 3 paltys 4 cory cats 1 rainbow shark 3 mollies 4 unknown tetras 4 cherry barbs I feel i may also over did it are my numbers way to many?!?!

Attached Files:

2. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

Yes this is overstocked and right now you have too much "traffic" in the tank.

3. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

What type of cory?
    You said you have guppies but you didn't say how many.
    What genders are the platies, mollies, swordtails and guppies?
    Yeah your tetras, cories and barbs all need to be in groups of 6+ of their own kind.

You could rehome some and have this instead
    8 skirt tetras (you could get different colours and they would school together)
    8-10 leopard and zebra danios (again these would school together as they are the same fish just different colours)
    3 male guppies
    3 male mollies
    3 male platies
    10-15 cories (but just one type)
    2 Bolivian rams

4. Zerologist

Zerologist Well Known Member Member

Yep, that's way too much.

5. OP
    OP
    Jacee

Jacee New Member Member

Yes I now know they should be unfortunately I didnt when I started ;( anywho Guppies i have 6 and when i bought i wanted all female SURPRISE i didnt look well enough before leaving and 2 were males..... so another mistake ! But all mollies and platies and swordtails are also females... I would prefer to stick with those as I am drawn more to them than also of the tetras I just dont know wjat to do with my 4 random tetras now i know they should school and dont want get more as my tank is already over run

6. BottomDweller

I would rehome the 4 random tetras

7. OP
    OP
    Jacee

Jacee New Member Member

My cory cats I have 4 of these 2 albino 2 green

Is it to many because i have too.many different types? What if I let my other tank cycle and move all mollies and pltys would that be better? What should i keep grouped together And what should i get more of in my 55 if i transfer others here is pic of 1 of the random tetras other are kinda like diff colors

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2017
  8. BottomDweller

How big is the other tank?
    I would just have 2 mid dwelling schools in the 55. So 8-12 of two of the following skirt tetras, zebra danios, cherry barbs, other tetras.

9. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

So in the picture there is one serpae tetra and one guppy.

The problem with your stocking is that each type of tetra, danio, cory, and barb need at least 6+ of the same species.

I would double the number of barbs, cories, and zebra danios in your tank. And decided one one of your species of tetra and fill out the school. The other tetra I would rehome or put in another tank and fill out their schools.

10. OP
    OP
    Jacee

Jacee New Member Member

What about my mollies Guppies and platies my other tank I believe not a hundred percent sure is a 55 hexagon

Correct I know that is my problem LOL the fish store informed me that it was perfectly fine to have one of each tetra I have three like that just different colors I now know this is not true my problem now is I have multiple different type of fish and I don't quite know what direction to go and dont want to over populate

11. BottomDweller

Yeah I meant 2 mid dwelling schools along with some other non schooling fish.
    What do you have already in the 55?
    To be honest you're going to have to rehome some fish. Even with both tanks you don't have room for 6 danios, 6 skirt tetras, 6 cherry barbs and 6 of 4 other types of tetra. (6 is minimum by the way, they would be happier in larger groups)

12. OP
    OP
    Jacee

Jacee New Member Member

I assume but that's what I get for getting ahead of myself and not doing research

I do not have anything in the hexagon right now it is currently cycling

13. BottomDweller

How long is the 55 hex that is cycling?
    Are all of the unknown 4 tetras the same type?

Ok so you could do this for the 55
    8 skirt tetras (you could get different colours and they would school together)
    8-10 leopard and zebra danios (again these would school together as they are the same fish just different colours)
    3 male guppies
    3 male mollies
    3 male platies
    10-15 cories (but just one type)
    2 Bolivian rams

And this for the 55 hex
    2 Swordtails
    12 Cherry barbs
    8-10 Tetras (depending on type)
    1 Angel
    1-2 GBR
    12 kuhli loaches

14. OP
    OP
    Jacee

Jacee New Member Member

Ok what about this I rehomed tetras so -4 in 55 so... How does this sound till my 55 hex is done cycling
    55/
    6 guppies 1 male already have these
    4 blackfin tera's have 2
    10 zebra dianos (already have 5)
    6 Cory cats (already have 4)
    3 swordfish 2 female 1 male already have
    3 male Molly already have
    4 cherry Barb's (already have)

Then my tank that's a 10 gallon that's already set up I have 6 neon tera's
    What if I add my 3 platy???

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice