Keep Losing My Bn Catfish...

Val_S

Reaction score
I started up a tank back in January this year, and about two months ago have tried keeping bristlenose catfish as I have done so previously, however, the 4 I have tried within two months have all not made it.
They have lasted no more then 48 hours.

I have a water test kit at home and have measured all parameters as being 0 (for Ammonia and Nitrite, and between o-0.5 for Nitrate). I have a PH of 7.4 being the highest parameter from the recommended.

I have even gotten my water tested regularly at two different pet stores, both of which say my tank parameters are looking great. At one point early on I was told my water was very soft and that regular use of aquarium salt would assist with that.

I usually just find their bodies with no obvious signs of illness or injury (except tonight where it was eaten by the other tank mates it seems).

The tank itself is a 70l tropical with lots of live plants and driftwood. There's also two filters (I have always kept a back up on hand as I once had one die on me years ago and it caused some issues...), and an air pump.

The tank mates are 3 Female Bettas and 8 Cherry barbs.

Chemicals I use are Prime and Stability (also aquarium salt as recommenced by my LFS) with the water changes.

I can only guess that perhaps the BN are being bullied or stressed by the other tank mates?

If anyone could help me try and figure out the cause it'd be greatly appreciated.
I've always wanted another BN, not really for algae eating but mostly because they're wonderful and cute little guys.

Is it worth trying again in the future with any changes? Or any other bottom dwelling tank mate?

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I want to say that as fast as they died, it’s an accumulation problem. How did you accumulate then?

Val_S

Reaction score
I've been drip acclimating them starting at an hour and the last I may have overdone with three hours.

Val_S

Reaction score
Im not sure, they don't seem to be in the tank long enough to be starving unless they all come severely underfed from the pet stores. I even left some food for the last lil guy while he was getting acclimated. Maybe that was a bad idea but it's gotten me quite stressed to lose so many fish for reasons unknown.

Is there a certain minimum size that is better equipped to go right into a community tank? the ones I have usually gotten are quite small and maybe they just aren't getting to the food before my betas hunt it down and eat a some of it.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Val_S said:
Im not sure, they don't seem to be in the tank long enough to be starving unless they all come severely underfed from the pet stores. I even left some food for the last lil guy while he was getting acclimated. Maybe that was a bad idea but it's gotten me quite stressed to lose so many fish for reasons unknown.
How come you got a nitrite-reading.
That should be 0,0

The bigger the better. But provide them with a part of fresh veg during the night. Bettas won't eat that and they get time to fill its stomach. As sais nitrite worries me and is a killer
Val_S said:
Is there a certain minimum size that is better equipped to go right into a community tank? the ones I have usually gotten are quite small and maybe they just aren't getting to the food before my betas hunt it down and eat a some of it.

Val_S

Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
How come you got a nitrite-reading.
That should be 0,0

The bigger the better. But provide them with a part of fresh veg during the night. Bettas won't eat that and they get time to fill its stomach. As sais nitrite worries me and is a killer
Not sure if its as worrying but I got my nitrate and nitrites mixed up, it was a yellow with a mild orange to it so I assume its between the first and second read.

I haven't tried with fresh veggies, and if its something the betas will avoid I think its a good shot.
Might give it one last shot sometime in the near future before I just resign myself to no Bristlenoses.

Val_S

Reaction score
Here's a photo of my set up, gonna do something a little nicer with the bubbler, its just a big ol' round one I had spare.

Attachments

Val_S

Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
You shouldn't test any nitrites. Nitrates aren't an issue here.
The nitrates came up bright blue so they should be okay, never actually caught a reading of that one, in the past I've only ever seen ammonia get to 0.25 in the last three weeks of checks.

Val_S

Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
how big is the tank.exact?
I don't have any accurate way to measure it in dimensions but it holds unto 70l although I would say a safer estimate is 65 to account for gravel and a bit of space from water to tank edge.

Val_S

Reaction score
I’ve decided to go and grab a copper test kit, aqua one dropper type. The only other critter I’ve had no luck with are snails, again about 48hrs living time when I tried one a few weeks ago. . Hopefully, if that’s the case and my tap waters copper heavy, I can find a solution.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom