10 Gallon Tank Keep Fish Away from Heater

Oliver T.

Hello, I set up a 10gal tank a while ago with the intention of breeding some bettas. It currently is stocked with one pair of betta albimarginata and they have a sponge filter and a heater. The issue is is that they never seem to move away from the heater. There not in danger or anything like that, but I would much rather watch the swim around the tank rather then huddle up close the heater. Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone found a solution? Thanks

IzabelB

Hello, I set up a 10gal tank a while ago with the intention of breeding some bettas. It currently is stocked with one pair of betta albimarginata and they have a sponge filter and a heater. The issue is is that they never seem to move away from the heater. There not in danger or anything like that, but I would much rather watch the swim around the tank rather then huddle up close the heater. Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone found a solution? Thanks
I’ve never had that problem before, what is the temp?
I would assume that the temp is too low and by the heater is the warmest spot so they stay there.

Upvote 0

Oliver T.

I’ve never had that problem before, what is the temp?
I would assume that the temp is too low and by the heater is the warmest spot so they stay there.
I did put the heater in there yesterday, the heater is a bit small but the water feels pretty warm

Upvote 0

IzabelB

Do you know how many watts, and do you have an aquatic thermometer to read the temp?

Upvote 0

Oliver T.

Do you know how many watts, and do you have an aquatic thermometer to read the temp?
I dont have the original box nor an aquatic thermometer unfortunately

Upvote 0

Hpup456

Are they trying to hide? I dont know much about them but a lot of fish need plants or other obstacles that break the sight line.

Upvote 0

IzabelB

I dont have the original box nor an aquatic thermometer unfortunately
I recommend you get a thermometer and a 50+ watt heater and make sure that it’s adjustable.
Preset heaters keep the temp “safe” but within the safe zone is 75 degrees which is a little chilly for bettas.
Get the thermometer first and before you replace the heater make sure that you gradually raise the temp so you don’t shock the fish.
A good temp for bettas imo is 79 or 80 degrees

Upvote 0

Oliver T.

Are they trying to hide? I dont know much about them but a lot of fish need plants or other obstacles that break the sight line.
I put a good amount of plants in the tank with a lot of floaters, I don't think there trying to hide. I probably just need to buy a larger heater

Upvote 0

Guppy777

Have noticed the same thing with my guppies the last few days, thats also where they sleep

Upvote 0

hpt84

A stick on thermometer is less than $2 at walmart. I would check your temperature before going out to buy a bigger heater. A weak heater should still be able to bring your aquarium up to temperature. I once use a 50 watt heater for a 55 gallon aquarium in a temporary situation.

Upvote 0

OiFisho

I used to actually, my betta just wouldn't leave the heater. He's found a home in a pirateship decoration now, Idk why he did this. That being said when I added other fish he stopped, I thought about territory reasons but he sleeps with 2 African dwarf frogs in that very same decoration and hasn't seemed annoyed or stressed. I'm sure they'll eventually come out.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

It's possible that they're just resting on the heater, but I'll agree that getting a thermometer would be a good job.

I recommend you get a thermometer and a 50+ watt heater and make sure that it’s adjustable.
Preset heaters keep the temp “safe” but within the safe zone is 75 degrees which is a little chilly for bettas.
Get the thermometer first and before you replace the heater make sure that you gradually raise the temp so you don’t shock the fish.
A good temp for bettas imo is 79 or 80 degrees

I haven't bought and used any, but most (maybe all) of the preset heaters I've seen claim to be set at 78°, not 75°.

Upvote 0

IzabelB

It's possible that they're just resting on the heater, but I'll agree that getting a thermometer would be a good job.

I haven't bought and used any, but most (maybe all) of the preset heaters I've seen claim to be set at 78°, not 75°.
Hm, I forget what my preset was set to be, but it kept the temp at 75-76 with the right wattage.
I‘ve since then switched to an adjustable and for someone breeding bettas I’d definitely recommend an adjustable opposed to a preset

Upvote 0

Oliver T.

My friend game me an adjustable heater and thermometer today and I set it to 80F, the thermometer is showing just below 80F. Now the fish are exploring the tank and not huddling close to the heater anymore

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • JamieBAnd
  • Heater
Replies
Views
JamieBAnd
Replies
Views
Spudsssy
Replies