10 Gallon Tank Keep Fish Away from Heater

Oliver T.
Hello, I set up a 10gal tank a while ago with the intention of breeding some bettas. It currently is stocked with one pair of betta albimarginata and they have a sponge filter and a heater. The issue is is that they never seem to move away from the heater. There not in danger or anything like that, but I would much rather watch the swim around the tank rather then huddle up close the heater. Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone found a solution? Thanks

IzabelB
Oliver T. said:
Hello, I set up a 10gal tank a while ago with the intention of breeding some bettas. It currently is stocked with one pair of betta albimarginata and they have a sponge filter and a heater. The issue is is that they never seem to move away from the heater. There not in danger or anything like that, but I would much rather watch the swim around the tank rather then huddle up close the heater. Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone found a solution? Thanks
I’ve never had that problem before, what is the temp?
I would assume that the temp is too low and by the heater is the warmest spot so they stay there.

Oliver T.
IzabelB said:
I’ve never had that problem before, what is the temp?
I would assume that the temp is too low and by the heater is the warmest spot so they stay there.
I did put the heater in there yesterday, the heater is a bit small but the water feels pretty warm

IzabelB
Do you know how many watts, and do you have an aquatic thermometer to read the temp?

Oliver T.
IzabelB said:
Do you know how many watts, and do you have an aquatic thermometer to read the temp?
I dont have the original box nor an aquatic thermometer unfortunately

Hpup456
Are they trying to hide? I dont know much about them but a lot of fish need plants or other obstacles that break the sight line.

IzabelB
Oliver T. said:
I dont have the original box nor an aquatic thermometer unfortunately
I recommend you get a thermometer and a 50+ watt heater and make sure that it’s adjustable.
Preset heaters keep the temp “safe” but within the safe zone is 75 degrees which is a little chilly for bettas.
Get the thermometer first and before you replace the heater make sure that you gradually raise the temp so you don’t shock the fish.
A good temp for bettas imo is 79 or 80 degrees

Oliver T.
Hpup456 said:
Are they trying to hide? I dont know much about them but a lot of fish need plants or other obstacles that break the sight line.
I put a good amount of plants in the tank with a lot of floaters, I don't think there trying to hide. I probably just need to buy a larger heater

Guppy777
Have noticed the same thing with my guppies the last few days, thats also where they sleep

hpt84
A stick on thermometer is less than $2 at walmart. I would check your temperature before going out to buy a bigger heater. A weak heater should still be able to bring your aquarium up to temperature. I once use a 50 watt heater for a 55 gallon aquarium in a temporary situation.

OiFisho
Oliver T. said:
I used to actually, my betta just wouldn't leave the heater. He's found a home in a pirateship decoration now, Idk why he did this. That being said when I added other fish he stopped, I thought about territory reasons but he sleeps with 2 African dwarf frogs in that very same decoration and hasn't seemed annoyed or stressed. I'm sure they'll eventually come out.

JettsPapa
It's possible that they're just resting on the heater, but I'll agree that getting a thermometer would be a good job.

IzabelB said:
I recommend you get a thermometer and a 50+ watt heater and make sure that it’s adjustable.
Preset heaters keep the temp “safe” but within the safe zone is 75 degrees which is a little chilly for bettas.
Get the thermometer first and before you replace the heater make sure that you gradually raise the temp so you don’t shock the fish.
A good temp for bettas imo is 79 or 80 degrees
I haven't bought and used any, but most (maybe all) of the preset heaters I've seen claim to be set at 78°, not 75°.

IzabelB
JettsPapa said:
It's possible that they're just resting on the heater, but I'll agree that getting a thermometer would be a good job.

I haven't bought and used any, but most (maybe all) of the preset heaters I've seen claim to be set at 78°, not 75°.
Hm, I forget what my preset was set to be, but it kept the temp at 75-76 with the right wattage.
I‘ve since then switched to an adjustable and for someone breeding bettas I’d definitely recommend an adjustable opposed to a preset

Oliver T.
My friend game me an adjustable heater and thermometer today and I set it to 80F, the thermometer is showing just below 80F. Now the fish are exploring the tank and not huddling close to the heater anymore

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom