Keep dirt off the sand in a dirted tank?

1. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

As some of you may know, I got a 5.5g over the weekend and set it up last night with potting soil with a pool filter sand cap.

My problem is, I tend to move plants around every once in a while, and when I do, I imagine the dirt is going to get all over the sand. There is already a bunch there just from planting the plants.

Do I just siphon it out, or is there a way to prevent it in the first place?

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Don't move the plants in the first place? :p

When I had a NPT with a gravel cap, every time I moved plants, it was literally a mud *volcano*. And I'd imagine with a sand cap, it'll eventually mix all together if you move plants too much. Best bet: Don't move the plants!

3. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

Well even I thought of that! :p

The main reason I was asking is because I am using dirt and sand in my 55g to be used for growing plants for sale. It doesn't really need to look pretty cause it's down in my fishroom, but I don't want it to get too messy because there will also be fish in it.

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

:giggle:

I think, if you're careful, you should be able to syphon any stray dirt off the sand... :;nin2