Keep dirt off the sand in a dirted tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Dlondon95, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Dlondon95

Dlondon95Well Known MemberMember

As some of you may know, I got a 5.5g over the weekend and set it up last night with potting soil with a pool filter sand cap.

My problem is, I tend to move plants around every once in a while, and when I do, I imagine the dirt is going to get all over the sand. There is already a bunch there just from planting the plants.

Do I just siphon it out, or is there a way to prevent it in the first place?

2. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Don't move the plants in the first place? :p

When I had a NPT with a gravel cap, every time I moved plants, it was literally a mud *volcano*. And I'd imagine with a sand cap, it'll eventually mix all together if you move plants too much. Best bet: Don't move the plants!

3. OP
    OP
    Dlondon95

Dlondon95Well Known MemberMember

Well even I thought of that! :p

The main reason I was asking is because I am using dirt and sand in my 55g to be used for growing plants for sale. It doesn't really need to look pretty cause it's down in my fishroom, but I don't want it to get too messy because there will also be fish in it.

4. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

:giggle:

I think, if you're careful, you should be able to syphon any stray dirt off the sand... :;nin2

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice