Keep An Empty Tank Cycled???

Han

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi everyone
I have just finished quarantining some fish, so I have an empty tank. In 1 month I want to turn the tank I used for quarantine into a betta tank. I am going on vacation so I will be away for 2 weeks and I don't want to start a new tank and rely on someone to take care of another tank, so that's why I am not setting up the tank right now.
Anyway, my question is: how do I keep it cycled? I have left the filter running, there are no fish and no plants in the tank anymore. If I turn my filter off but leave it in the water, will the media stay cycled? Or do I HAVE to keep it running?
I always find cycling tanks a nightmare:emoji_face_palm: so I would really love to not have to start all over again, so I want to check I am doing things correctly.

Thanks!!!

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, I feel you have someone coming over, you could have them drop a bit of ammonia drops into your tank to keep it going. I actually just went to the store and bought a small fancy goldfish and then rehomed it once I got back.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fanatic is right. Keeing 1 fish in there will keep the cycle going. The person that's taking care of your other fish can just drop a pinch of food in for the goldfish too. Just don't be tempted to go cheap and buy a feeder fish. They are not as well cared for and more likely to carry paracites or disease.
Fanatic said:
Well, I feel you have someone coming over, you could have them drop a bit of ammonia drops into your tank to keep it going. I actually just went to the store and bought a small fancy goldfish and then rehomed it once I got back.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Adding one fish is a good idea or if possible you could just run the filter from your quarantine tank on your display tank until you are ready to put fish back in it. It would keep the bacteria alive and strong and then you could just move it back to the original tank when you get back.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That sounds like a good theory as far as keeping the BB alive, but the water not being moved in the quarantine tank would stagnate. There are also BB in the substrate that also help the biological filtration that would die and decay and an explosion of anaerobic bacteria would grow producing toxins like methane. So many aquarium hobbyist discount the importance of the help that the substrate bacteria play in the biological filtration of the water. It's best to keep the qt tank running with a fish or couple of mystery or Apple snails.
mattgirl said:
Adding one fish is a good idea or if possible you could just run the filter from your quarantine tank on your display tank until you are ready to put fish back in it. It would keep the bacteria alive and strong and then you could just move it back to the original tank when you get back.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
finnipper59 said:
That sounds like a good theory as far as keeping the BB alive, but the water not being moved in the quarantine tank would stagnate. There are also BB in the substrate that also help the biological filtration that would die and decay and an explosion of anaerobic bacteria would grow producing toxins like methane. So many aquarium hobbyist discount the importance of the help that the substrate bacteria play in the biological filtration of the water. It's best to keep the qt tank running with a fish or couple of mystery or Apple snails.
You are correct. I should have added that the QT would still need to have water movement and a really big water change before introducing more fish. I am wondering what good snails would do as to keeping the bacteria fed though since their bio-load is almost negligible.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mattgirl said:
You are correct. I should have added that the QT would still need to have water movement and a really big water change before introducing more fish. I am wondering what good snails would do as to keeping the bacteria fed though since their bio-load is almost negligible.
2 large mystery or Apple snails would produce plenty of ammonia, especially if they had an algae wafer every 2 days to supplement their diet. The would do fine with a pinch of regular fish flakes too if it were pinched underwater so it would sink.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom