Keep Adding Ammonia In A Fishless Cycle Using Tss+? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by TheSaraBree, Mar 4, 2019.

1. TheSaraBree

TheSaraBreeNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi everyone! I am brand new to fish keeping. I am going to be getting a betta fish for my almost 6 year old daughter (even though I will be taking on the majority of its care). I purchased all the supplies about a month ago to get the tank cycled in preparation for the fish.

The tank is 6.7 gallons and has 2 java ferns, a marimo moss ball and a couple of fake plants, a cave structure and gravel substrate. Long story short, the cycle has been taking forever. I used Petco's brand of biological booster and for the first 3 weeks I saw no drop in ammonia (I started out with fish food and the switched to ace pure ammonia). I only dosed it to about 3ppm and it stayed that way for several weeks with 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate. I read about using TSS+ so I went out and bought some and added it. That was about a week ago.

I have finally seen some progress. Today my parameters are:
    PH: 8.0
    Ammonia 1 ppm
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Nitrate 10 ppm
    Temp 80F

I am so happy to finally see some sort of change! However, I am confused about whether or not to dose any more ammonia back to 2ppm or if I should wait until it reaches 0. I know it needs to process ammonia in about 24hrs but I'm just not sure when or if I need to add more especially since I used TSS+.

My daughter has been so patient during all this and knows it has to be done the right way so we don't hurt any fish. We are so close now so I don't want to mess it up! Please let me know what I should do from here!

2. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,764
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I would dose it back up again when it gets down to .25. Since you added TSS it is very possible you won't see nitrites so don't get worried if they don't spike. Lots of folks report skipping that spike. I have to assume the TSS supplies enough of the proper bacteria to take the ammonia straight to nitrates.

3. Donthemon

DonthemonWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +444
    Experience:
    4 years
    Main purpose of Safestart is so you can add the fish right away. The fish waste will then feed the bb and keep the cycle going.

4. OP
    OP
    TheSaraBree

TheSaraBreeNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks, I will wait until its .25. I did read about possibly not getting a nitrite spike so its nice to hear it reiterated.

Yes, If I could go back in time I probably would have just done that from the beginning, but as I said I am new to all of this so am learning as I go. I have also read that many people have used TSS+ in a fishless cycle with success so was just trying to find out from those folks what I should do next.

5. Morpheus1967

Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +636
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I have a question regarding the TSS. If it is supposedly full of live bacteria to help speed up the cycling process, what exactly is the live bacteria feeding on while it is in the bottle? I mean, this stuff could theoretically sit on a shelf for 2 months. Where is the beneficial bacteria getting the food supply for two months?

6. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,764
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I have to assume it is suspended in a solution that keeps the bacteria alive. I have a feeling the reason for some failures when using it is because it is too old or hasn't been handled correctly before purchase. Too hot or too cold? Who can know. Certainly not me.

7. ShaneB

ShaneBNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    I have read that the bacteria is dormant when they bottle it so it doesn't need to feed on ammonia. You basically wake it up when you add it to your tank which causes the need for ammonia for it to eat. Also agree with above post about product being mishandled (probably in shipping) either being kept too cold or too hot killing the bacterial. I think (from my research) this is why people have varied results using it.

8. Donthemon

DonthemonWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +444
    Experience:
    4 years
    Put fish in and use prime.

Become a Fishlore Member