Kasshan's Tank Stocking

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To get to this point it took lots of self control and patience. gradual stocking that took months of planning and close monitoring. so the Caveat is; this not for the amateur and these setups take a minimum of 6 months to a year to dial in[at least for me]; you can not just throw this together in a month and hope for the best.

This is a list of livestock only:
55 gallon Acrylic
: 4 Discus, 3 Angels, 2 elephant nose, 11 aeneus corydoras, 1 habrosus cory(adopted by the aeneus), 8 chain loaches, 4 kuhli loaches, 24 rasboras het., 15 cardinal tetras, 12 green neon tetras, +40 neon tetras.

75 gallon Acrylic: 2 young jack dempseys(EB male/normal female). 21 black skirt tetras, 8 pepper corydoras, 1 tangerine crayfish, and 5 mollies(1male sailfin); but these are new and still residing in the hospital tank. mollies are notorious for being disease ridden and these are particularly so; ill have to wait another week before I introduce them.

23g nat geo glass: hundreds of fire red cherry shrimp

10 gallon glass: EB ram female, Gold ram male with a regular monthly supply of fry.

10 gallon hospital tank: i set this tank at 89F and i added a tblspn of epsom and tblspn of iodized salt. this ensures i can identify and kill any pathogen.
the sandy bottom is loaded with live tubifex worms looking like grass(gross lol), discarded low grade cherry shrimp(enough for a sustainable population now!), and loads of daphnia. some unintended danio and whitecloud fry from a few weeks ago (I fed the adult danio/whiteclouds to the Jack Dempseys since I didn't have any other place to put them). there are also 5 mollies in isolation due to go in the 75 gallon in a week.

**I will update this OG post with pictures soon**

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's pretty cool! And I really like elephant noses and the fact your keeping them with the Angels and discus, props to you (I know the kind of work you do, and it's pretty interesting )Tbh, I really wanna see shrimp tank, there is something amazing about hundreds of red shrimp in a tank!!

lol I wish I could see it all in person and how you set it up! Feel like it would be a very interesting experience

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That 55 looks very busy. I bet it's fun to watch. Are the angels behavin' with all the bullying "targets".

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
its weird under normal circumstance you cant hardly see the cherries cuz the java moss and fern are so thick. but put some algae tabs in and the red masses come out in horde. I will do that before I take any pics.

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kasshan said:
its weird under normal circumstance you cant hardly see the cherries cuz the java moss and fern are so thick. but put some algae tabs in and the red masses come out in horde. I will do that before I take any pics.
Yay! Thanks! Lol, I just realized, you live like 30 min from me. Not to be creepy, but a small world eh! Ha

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OnTheFly said:
That 55 looks very busy. I bet it;s fun to watch. Are the angels behavin' with all the bullying "targets".
they do behave, when they aren't spawning. the "targets" aren't really targets anymore, they know the drill and learned the routine and avoid Goldie when she is in her moods. basically the fish aren't stupid, ive only lost one cardinal when he forgot his lessons and ended up with a broken spine from Goldie, he stuck out like a sore thumb. all three Angels hangout together otherwise in there respective pecking order. but the female, Goldie, is the boss at all times. I don't even need to see eggs to know Goldie has spawned, it readily apparent and quite obvious when you observe the other fishes' behavior.

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kasshan said:
they do behave, when they aren't spawning. the "targets" aren't really targets anymore, they know the drill and learned the routine and avoid Goldie when she is in her moods. basically the fish aren't stupid, ive only lost one cardinal when he forgot his lessons and ended up with a broken spine from Goldie, he stuck out like a sore thumb. all three Angels hangout together otherwise in there respective pecking order. but the female, Goldie, is the boss at all times. I don't even need to see eggs to know Goldie has spawned, it readily apparent and quite obvious when you observe the other fishes' behavior.
I suppose they figure it out. I introduced neons after my angel and they headed straight for her spot. She solved that problem quickly though. I thought surely there would be casualties soon lol.

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
KinsKicks said:
Yay! Thanks! Lol, I just realized, you live like 30 min from me. Not to be creepy, but a small world eh! Ha
not to be creepy right back at you in this small world. but you could see them if you really wanted to. since my wife's pregnant shes home all day and enjoys visitors (since we are Hindu) we meet at Tropical Haven from time to time, you wouldn't be any different. btw you don't have PM function on your profile. bring along a buddy, tell your friends and we could get lunch and talk fish.

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
In another thread you posted your pH readings and with your methods the pH slowly falls. What are you planning for the mollys? Will you join the dark side and do water changes to keep the mineral content up? lol

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
55 acrylic

75 acrylic

23 nat geo

10 gallon ram - those specks at the bottom are 4 day old fry

10 gallon Hospital
Front view
Back view from the kitchen

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BeanFish said:
In another thread you posted your pH readings and with your methods the pH slowly falls. What are you planning for the mollys? Will you join the dark side and do water changes to keep the mineral content up? lol
the mollies will eventually go in the Jack Dempsey tank. before the 75 gallon several months ago I had platies in a 29 gallon that was setup a year and half ago. but the female jack was not big enough to eat the babies so population exploded and that required monthly water changes since there were over 50 platies. I got rid of the platies cuz we all know I hate routine water changes. So I'm ready to try again with livebearers since the jacks like to eat little bite sized fish now; which I'm hoping the mollies will provide a steady supply of fry.

as far as converting to the Darkside is concerned I think im already pretty Sith, since I'm in the minority compared to the all of Waterchanging Jedi out there.

the quality of the snail shell is my indicator of mineral content.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom