Karma is sick

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what's wrong with her but she is sleeping a lot, either floating at the top or hiding in her cave and all clamped up. She won't eat and she swims with her head facing downwards (constipation?) I tried to give her the green pea but she just won't eat anything. She's been like this for two days now. I'm worried about her. She is in a divided tank with Phlox and if I medicate her with Maracyn I'd be medicating Phlox too and he is fine. I have no quarantine tank right now as all my tanks are being used except a small 1.5 gallon Kritter Keeper which is useless for keeping any fish in for more than an hour or so while working on a tank.
So far I've been lucky and haven't lost any fish but if I can't fix her up soon I may lose her...

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Phloxface, I am sorry to hear that she is not doing well. Hopefully she'll pull out it quickly. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you have a large new any kind of plastic container that has not been used with chemicals .... bucket, storage container, trash can* (yeah I said trash can), large cooler, in a pinch almost everything I own is fair game if my little one is in jeopardy.

I am so sorry that you have trouble with her right now. You have had luck with your bettas, but unfortunately, sometimes they do get sick.. I did some research and due to the problems you had with your little ladies, I may have an answer for you. The Swimbladder is probably infected. She was in the frenzies that your little females had and was rousted about like the others. The swimbladder can become infected and inflammed if the fish is repeatedly injured. (like the fights the girls probably had) They probably rammed her on her sides and injured the swimbladder. You treat it the same as a systemic bacterial infection and do not force or encourage her to eat until she has had some treatment to help it subside. She is in some pain and not wanting to move about and eat. The infection and inflamation is going to have to subside a bit before she will act differently. She is going to need to have an antibiotic for a broad spectrum treatment like Erythromic or E.M. tablets or Triple Sulfa Capsules. She also needs to have a 5 degree raise in her temperature. (the book suggestion...I am using their wisdom here) Please keep us informed about how she is doing, I wish I could help more.

Rose

*most trash cans are constantly lined with plastic liners. I used my office trash can one day in a pinch when I had an emergency as it was clean, unsullied by chemicals, and plastic. I have also used new buckets, new planters and anything else that would hold water and was not touched by chemicals and not made of anything that would leach into the water. Just clean it out good with dechlorinated water (hot) and then fill with tank temp dechlorinated water and throw a heater in. Instant tank (especially if you throw in an airstone)

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
She's been in her cave now for about 20 minutes without coming up for air. She looks bad. I'm afraid I am going to lose her very soon.  I don't think she'll make it through the night.  :'(
She has had such a hard  time in her short life. I brought her back from the brink of death a couple of weeks ago and she's been so active and happy since then but somehow, something went wrong and she just doesn't look like she'll make it this time.

It makes me so sad to see her like this. She's only a baby and barely had more than a couple weeks here.  :'( :'( :'(

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The only thing I can say that may help her is..can she go into a shallow container where she can be closer to the surface? I do not know if we can save her, I am so sorry, but maybe you can make what time she has left easier. IF she was close to the surface of the water she may not have to work so hard.

You have made her life the best you could. She was loved and cared for in a way that so few bettas, or fish in general for that matter. know in their lives. Please give yourself the credit you deserve for that. She loved you and was happy and active and had a wonderful surrounding to play in. I know, believe me that this is not enough when you are suffering with a sick loved baby but she is not going to want you to feel bad. I do wish there were something I could do to make things easier on you.

Rose
:'(

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
She has now finally come to the surface to take a breath.  I'm amazed she didn't drown being in the cave for so long! She's still all clamped up but she's lying on the thermometer (on the part of the suction cup that attaches to the thermometer) which is close to the surface.  For a few moments she went to the divider and Phlox came over and just stood there with her calmly. It looked like he was trying to comfort her. He's such a sweet little guy!
Right now I don't want to move her anywhere. I'm worried the stress will hurt her more. I don't even have any extra heaters anyways. Hopefully if she stays at the top she'll somehow get well. I'll just have to pray for her right now. Phlox loves her and seems worried about her too.

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I so hope Karma gets better. I know you are doing all you can, and if she has to leave us, at least she had a wonderful life with you, even if it is short. I care.

CherryRose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am so sorry Karma is not doing well. I hope she gets better. Don't give up on her yet.

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
It's really hard to have a family member suffering.  I hope Karma can pull through.

Mike

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I switched some fish around now so that Karma is now alone in the 4 gallon Kritter Keeper and I put Whisper in with Phlox (divided tank). I started giving her Maracyn 2. She was so clamped up and listless I thought she had died. She was not responding to anything. I didn't want to net her as it would stress her more so I gently scooped her up with a cup and poured her slowly into the other tank. This is how I usually remove my fish. I only use a net if I have no other choice... After a night on Maracyn 2 she seems slightly better. Still not interested in food but she's swimming a bit, exploring the new tank and a little less clamped up. It will be another 24 hours before I can say she will get better but at least now she has some hope. Maracyn saved her life once before, maybe it can again. Whatever she's got it must be some sort of internal bacterial infection as I see nothing wrong on the outside. Maracyn 2 is excellent for internal infections so I'll have to wait and see.
I would never be without a supply of Maracyn and Maracyn 2 here! With 7 fish who get sick a lot like little children you really need it. A sick fish goes downhill very quickly and don't usually have the luxury of waiting until you can get to the fishstore the next day (plus sometimes the store is out of what you need). They pretty much need to be treated immediately if they are to be saved.
I'm very determined to get her well. I didn't save her just to have her die on me a few weeks later!

Whisper is doing fine in the tank with Phlox and trying to get his attention but he is snubbing her. Everytime she approaches him he turns his bum towards her and swims away. I think he misses Karma. He really seemed to love her and was trying to comfort her while she was sick.
They do make a striking pair though, both being so bright red...

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
((Phloxface))

I'm sorry that lil Karma isn't feeling well. I'm so glad that she's with YOU though. You will do everything in your power to help her, I know, and you've already done soo much...for them all. She's in my thoughts!!

((((((((((((((Karma)))))))))))))

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The more I think about it, I am sure that she was injured and is having a swimbladder infection and inflammation of major sorts because of it. The timing is just too coincidental. She can very likely get over it with proper antibiotic treatment. She is not going to want to eat for a few days but they can go without for a surprising long time if they need to. When she does start to act interested in food I would start her for a day on peas only as she can become a bit constipated with not eating. In effect her digestive system will just kind of shut down for the duration of the swelling of the swimbladder.

I am saying many prayers in her behalf. Please do keep us informed of her progress.

Rose

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It is possible that it could be a swim bladder infection. She was quite healthy and active after being removed from the all female tank but maybe the infection takes a while to start.
This afternoon she seems a little better still and is swimming around slowly.  She comes to the top and seems interested in food but won't eat. Maybe she'll feel more like it tomorrow. I'm just happy to see her more alert and swimming. The antibiotics really work quickly, like a miracle! She's taking long naps and then swimming around a bit. Maybe she just needs rest and time. She is a little less clamped up too. Once she starts eating again I'll know she's out of danger.
I am sure she would not have made it through the night last night if I hadn't moved her and started meds right away. She was trying to lay on the thermometer to be close to the top and was so weak she kept sliding off and drifting head first down. She could barely move her fins!  I thought she would die within hours, probably of drowning from not having the strength to reach the surface. It's a horrible thing to watch your baby suffer like that. I always get weepy looking at the Bettas at Petsmart who are dying in their cups and I don't even know them!

OneMom

Reaction score
Hi:

I'm glad to hear that Karma is perking up a bit. I was amazed at how quickly the antibiotics helped Angel. Less than five days ago at was at my wits end watching her lay on the bottom. Now she's doing really well. I'll keep Karma in my thoughts, hopefully she'll improve as quickly as Angel!!

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I really hope that karma get's better soon. Too many of our Beloved Betta's been dying and it's just so sad. I hope she pull's through soon.  Natalie P.s I am glad that she seems to be little bit more alert and perky. That is a very good sign.

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
It is sad to see all the Bettas at Petsmart who are dying in their cups.  What makes it worse is there's often so many of them.

Good to see Karma is showing signs of getting better.  Go Karma, go!

Mike

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh, yeah, things are sounding better but please do not worry about the food. She can go for several days without eating and she does know that this is not the time for it. She will eat when her tummy stops hurting. I am so glad she is swimming more.

Rose

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
She seems to be getting worse this evening. She's just been floating at the top for hours. Even her gills are barely moving. She's a long way from getting well still.

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Phloxface, in the OP you mentioned constipation, do you think that's part of this?  Is it something epsom salts might help with?  I ask as Rose mentioned the use of epsom salts to deal with constipation in the <a href=" Betta first aid kit</a> thread.

Mike

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am so happy to hear that Karma is doing better. Hopefully she will continue to improve.

CherryRose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom