Kanaplex / Furan 2 In Food Or In Tank For Betta With Septicemia

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by bettanewbie44, Mar 16, 2017.

1. bettanewbie44

bettanewbie44New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    Just started
    I've been treating my betta for septicemia since Sunday with Kanaplex. Initially I put it in the tank, then tried to add it to food (have Focus on order to get dosing more accurate). Several people have suggested for this internal infection feeding it would be more effective. I spoke to Seachem tech today and they said that even for internal infection it's equally absorbed and effective in food or water. Do others agree or believe differently about that? I can get the dosing more accurate by putting it directly in the tank and he's the only guy in there, but I want to do what gives him the best chance of recovery.

Also was considering adding Furan 2 to the mix since I've read that this is a very effective combo of antibiotics and my poor guy has been pretty unwell for a few weeks now. Seachem advised against that not just because they don't manufacture it but because they didn't think there would be much additional benefit and that it could be excessive for him. Wondered what others think? My tank parameters are a-ok for some time now and I've kept on top of frequent water changes. Thanks!

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,992
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Giving this a bump up for you

3. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +843
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I had to research this further because I was getting conflicting information. It turns out Furan 2 has two compounds one that's definitely absorbed by the gut and one that may be so it will work in the food.

Medicating food is almost always better as long as the drug is absorbed by the gut. Measuring is difficult without a decent electronic balance though.

4. OP
    OP
    bettanewbie44

bettanewbie44New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank you! He just completed a 6-day course of Kanaplex. I thought at first that it was helping but I'm feeling more doubtful. He has some times where he's swimming around more frequently and seems like he's getting better. But today he spent most of the day resting and barely swimming. My Furan 2 arrived later than expected and I was uncertain whether to use it since someone said if he's weakened a second antibiotic might be too much. Any thoughts about whether to give it a shot? I had considered doing a longer treatment with the Kanaplex if he was improving but not totally, Seachem said to do that if so, but I'm not sure it's helping enough to go further with it. I just did a 50% tank flush and put a new carbon filter in with the old floss. My tank parameters have been pretty solid for a month now (all 0 except nitrates hover at but not above 20, pH 8) following an extreme nitrate spike that I didn't expect and that prompted his illness. But he's been sick up and down for that length of time, sluggish. I just looked at old video and relative to then his fins are clamped and maybe simply less full. I'm not sure whether his current state is permanent irreversible damage or whether there's more I can do to help him heal.