Kamaka Rainbow Fish Min Tank Size? Plus a Few Other Questions.

Megaanemp

Hello,

I am working on setting up a 29 gallon to be a community tank. I’m having such a hard time finalizing my stock plan. However, yesterday I was at the store and saw Kamaka Rainbow fish. I’ve never seen them before but I thought they were so gorgeous and am wondering if they’d be suitable for my tank? Im seeing a lot of conflicting info on what size they grow to, and about what water parameters they need. Also how peaceful are they would they do well with the other stock listed below?

Heres my tank info:

Planted 29 gallon (30” long)
Filtration: Aquaclear 50 and Aquaclear 30 (willing to upgrade to canister if necessary)
Temp: ~76F
pH: 7.0
GH: 1-2 degrees
Existing stock Plan:
-2x Bolivian Ram (Already owned)
-~10 kuhli loaches (not added yet but pretty much non negotiable)

Jaquatic

In my experience rainbows in general tend to do better in groups of 6+. I never kept Kamaka Rainbow fish personally but I would recommend a 55 gallon for a group of them. Also majority of rainbows prefer hard water but are fairly adaptable, especially if they are captive bred.

From what I have seen online they reach roughly 3”. When I have kept boesemani and Iranian red rainbows they can outcompete slow moving fish for food. As well since they are fast moving fish they may make your Bolivian rams more timid. Maybe someone here has kept rainbows with rams and can give you some first hand experience.

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

In my experience rainbows in general tend to do better in groups of 6+. I never kept Kamaka Rainbow fish personally but I would recommend a 55 gallon for a group of them. Also majority of rainbows prefer hard water but are fairly adaptable, especially if they are captive bred.

From what I have seen online they reach roughly 3”. When I have kept boesemani and Iranian red rainbows they can outcompete slow moving fish for food. As well since they are fast moving fish they may make your Bolivian rams more timid. Maybe someone here has kept rainbows with rams and can give you some first hand experience.
Thanks for the reply! Ya I was thinking a 29 gallon might be a bit small. As for the Rams I think it would depend on the individuals. But for the most part rams are usually pretty self confident so long as no one is trying to legit eat them.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
  • Question
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
  • Question
Replies