Kals Tanks ( Video )

kallililly1973

Here is a quick videos of my 7 tanks hope everyone enjoys ( sorry for the tv noise still learning how to do the youtube thing :) mattgirl A201 DoubleDutch coralbandit !!!

Routhinator

Very nice, and very well planted tanks. Your fish look comfortable in them.

kallililly1973

I'de like to use this thread as progressive video shoots. They could be of my tanks and possibly a slow motion shot of big jetty seeing something at the back of the yard :) Enjoy!!
Here is my old guy still trooping along. He has since become less active but still a champ!

kallililly1973

Newest addition to the Barb tank!
Edit Basil ... here are a couple vids of the barbs n the rest of my tanks :).. oh and my newest addition an albino bristlenose pleco

kallililly1973

Canaculus ... even a short video of big jetty in slow motion Hahahaha.. has to sneak him in somewhere:)

Cheesecake

Absolutely awesome! I wish I could have a tank with plants :(. Both of my current tanks have critters in them that would devour the plants (turtles and fiddler crabs).

kallililly1973

Canaculus said:
Absolutely awesome! I wish I could have a tank with plants :(. Both of my current tanks have critters in them that would devour the plants (turtles and fiddler crabs).
Sounds like it’s time for a planted tank build :)

Basil

Cute addition! I love the colors Plecos come in now. I haven’t added any cause I’m afraid of their ability to produce copious poop lol!
The barbs look great!
I’m hoping to be putting some platinum green TBs in quarantine tomorrow.
The fish store north of me got them back in. I’ve missed them twice. Fingers crossed they look healthy!

Cheesecake

kallililly1973 said:
Sounds like it’s time for a planted tank build :)
I wish. I would have probably way more than 2 tanks but there's no room in my house. I'm trying to buy my brothers 20 gallon off him but he won't sell. It has 3 plastic plants in it, blue gravel, a small bridge decoration, a temple thingy, and the hood lights don't work. The only occupant is a 4 inch red-tailed shark, which is too big to fit in either of the decorations so he has no hiding spot. I tried telling my brother it isn't a very good habitat but he's like "it'll be fine". I told him he needs to get more plants (real one's) but he said then the shark would just hide all the time .

angelcraze

Wow awesome planted tanks! They all look so healthy!

Basil, smaller sized plecos aren't that bad. The bio filter processes as much ammonia to nitrate (indirectly) as surface area allows. If you have enough, (like a reg filter amount) it will deal with a pleco. I just wouldn't put a smaller pleco like BN in anything smaller than 30 gallons. I have 3 full grown adults in my 90g. Love them!

mattgirl

I don't know how I managed to miss this thread. Great videos of some awesome tanks. :)

kallililly1973

mattgirl said:
I don't know how I managed to miss this thread. Great videos of some awesome tanks. :)
Thanks so much :)

grenseal

Very cool. I love the live plants.

kallililly1973

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

Wonderful tanks!

kallililly1973

Added a small piece of driftwood to the puffers 8.8 and really tannin’ed up the water hard to tell in the pic but still very nice... also added a larger size piece to my 55 wasn’t easy finagling it through the plants so it’s kind of sittin in a random spot till I do a big trimming and I also have another good size piece to add to the 55 after a big trI'm job

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

kallililly1973 said:
Added a small piece of driftwood to the puffers 8.8 and really tannin’ed up the water hard to tell in the pic but still very nice... also added a larger size piece to my 55 wasn’t easy finagling it through the plants so it’s kind of sittin in a random spot till I do a big trimming and I also have another good size piece to add to the 55 after a big trI'm job
Nice tank kalli, always looking wild!

kallililly1973

A new quick video of the 55 looking alive with a minor revamp of the driftwood and plants. Enjoy!!

kallililly1973

tuffcookie

kallililly1973

Did a little revamp of one of my 5.5’s that could potentially turn into a shrimp tank if I can find some good ones local. And a quick video of my busy Cory babys sharing/battling with my ramshorns in my other 5.5

Basil

Oh my goodness. So cute! Peppered corys are my favorite. :)

AcuarioAmazonico

Hahha that soundtrack! I thought I was watching

“CSI: Aquarium” ;)

kallililly1973

Basil said:
Oh my goodness. So cute! Peppered corys are my favorite. :)
Yup my peppers don’t lay many eggs anymore so as soon as I see them I scoop em right up n into the fry tank ... the greens r naughty n there r alwayssss eggs :)
AcuarioAmazonico said:
Hahha that soundtrack! I thought I was watching

“CSI: Aquarium” ;)
Hahahahaha I had to find something to fit the description in my post ;)

kallililly1973

Just a 1 minute video of my newest group of green corys. Enjoy

kallililly1973

Made a little video of my ZucchinI eating crew! Enjoy!
StarGirl15

DeborahJeanne

I don’t get it. Your tanks are heavily planted and your sand is clean. How do you do it without disrupting all those plants? Even with a baster I’m replanting after every WC!

kallililly1973

DeborahJeanne said:
I don’t get it. Your tanks are heavily planted and your sand is clean. How do you do it without disrupting all those plants? Even with a baster I’m replanting after every WC!
Sorry they are all pretty well established so the roots hold down pretty well. The cory cats keep everything stirred up for the most part and a lot of filtration helps. when I first started planting mine would always float up too but I found a video on youtube where someone was using water bottle caps to hold their plants down. Cut an X in the cap push your pinkie through it and flip the cap upside down then put about an inch or so of the stem through it and bury the cap. It has worked very well for me I can literally stir all around most plants and everything stays in place. The fish are the ones that make my plants float every now n then :)

DeborahJeanne

kallililly1973 said:
Sorry they are all pretty well established so the roots hold down pretty well. The cory cats keep everything stirred up for the most part and a lot of filtration helps. when I first started planting mine would always float up too but I found a video on youtube where someone was using water bottle caps to hold their plants down. Cut an X in the cap push your pinkie through it and flip the cap upside down then put about an inch or so of the stem through it and bury the cap. It has worked very well for me I can literally stir all around most plants and everything stays in place. The fish are the ones that make my plants float every now n then :)
LOL! So you cheat!!! Actually that’s a great idea. I just bought a bunch of teeny tiny terra cotta pots, only 2 inches tall, essentially the same idea, but I like yours better. I’m afraid that even as small as they are, they’ll be peaking up through the sand. Your way is less obtrusive and you can get plants closer together giving it that nice jungle look. I was thinking about 3” of sand - do you think that’s too much or should I stick with 2”?

kallililly1973

DeborahJeanne said:
LOL! So you cheat!!! Actually that’s a great idea. I just bought a bunch of teeny tiny terra cotta pots, only 2 inches tall, essentially the same idea, but I like yours better. I’m afraid that even as small as they are, they’ll be peaking up through the sand. Your way is less obtrusive and you can get plants closer together giving it that nice jungle look. I was thinking about 3” of sand - do you think that’s too much or should I stick with 2”?
hahahaha thanks!!! the nice part about sand is you can start with a set depth like 2" as your saying and if you want to add a little more you can take the water bottle you took the cap off and funnel the sand into the bottle and hold your finger over it and dip it upside down in your tank and you will b able to regulate the sand you want to drop in with virtually no cloudiness.

DeborahJeanne

kallililly1973 said:
hahahaha thanks!!! the nice part about sand is you can start with a set depth like 2" as your saying and if you want to add a little more you can take the water bottle you took the cap off and funnel the sand into the bottle and hold your finger over it and dip it upside down in your tank and you will b able to regulate the sand you want to drop in with virtually no cloudiness.
WOW! That’s awesome! I love this site. I have learned so much from you, it’s just amazing. All the little tips I get from you are like little nuggets of gold dropping from the sky. You really make it so easy! :cat:

kallililly1973

DeborahJeanne said:
WOW! That’s awesome! I love this site. I have learned so much from you, it’s just amazing. All the little tips I get from you are like little nuggets of gold dropping from the sky. You really make it so easy! :cat:
Glad I could help.. those are the videos I found when I was gettin frustrated about plants floating up and they worked for me. I have an entire baggie full of X cut bottle caps for when I propagate my plants and want them to stay down. Just be sure to make the X big enough with your finger so it doesn't strangle the stem and they should root eventually. It doesn't work every time ( sometimes the stem breaks or melts ) but it definitely works more often than not.

Gizmo1

kallililly1973 said:
Here is a quick videos of my 7 tanks hope everyone enjoys ( sorry for the tv noise still learning how to do the youtube thing :) mattgirl A201 DoubleDutch coralbandit !!!
Love your tanks. Thank you my plants are already on order just waiting for them to come i. Thank you again.

Dawn Michele

Gorgeous tanks & fish!!!

Basil

Ohh, I keep forgetting about the bottle cap trick. Will definitely be implementing that in my 49 b barb tank. They like to “help” garden lol!

kallililly1973

The ultimate standoff Willard and my last remaining cherry shrimp... ( don’t ask ;) )

StarGirl

I didn't realize you had all of these videos on here! LOL Nice.

kallililly1973

StarGirl

kallililly1973 said:
Thanks!! I have a video i'm gonna upload after of my pea puffer "making friends" with his ramshorn snails
You definitely have some big Ramshorns in that one tank!

kallililly1973

StarGirl15 said:
You definitely have some big Ramshorns in that one tank!
I try to keep a population going in all my tanks they are some of the best cleaners around only second to nerites IMO. Yes the 55 has some pretty large ones.

StarGirl

kallililly1973 said:
I try to keep a population going in all my tanks they are some of the best cleaners around only second to nerites IMO. Yes the 55 has some pretty large ones.
Those blue leopard ones someone had last week look interesting enough to want some! :p

kallililly1973

StarGirl15 said:
Those blue leopard ones someone had last week look interesting enough to want some! :p
All i've got are the brownish ones. it started from a single snail in a ball of java moss close to 3 years ago.

kallililly1973

Introducing "Chubby" my pea puffer. He lives with a single otto cat and I rotate guppy fry so he doesn't get outcompeted for bloodworms even though he takes them from the guppies. And of course his army of Ramshorns. Enjoy!!
Edit the video is 5 minutes but the live action starts around the 1:30 point. but watching the entire video is entertaining cuz he is a beautiful lil guy/gal!!

Basil

kallililly1973 said:
All i've got are the brownish ones. it started from a single snail in a ball of java moss close to 3 years ago.
Blue leopard ones? Oh I need to do a search. Keep thinking I should try a few. I’m just worried my loaches and barbs will harass and eat them. But I guess that might work to keep the population down?

StarGirl

Basil said:
Blue leopard ones? Oh I need to do a search. Keep thinking I should try a few. I’m just worried my loaches and barbs will harass and eat them. But I guess that might work to keep the population down?
Look at threads like what kind of snail is this?

DFSmith

kallililly1973 said:
Here are some of my green and pepper Cory fry scurrying around racing the ramshorn for shrimp pellets :)
Loving your tanks!! I noticed that you have some plants planted directly in the sand. Do you use root tabs, or do you have soil (dirt, as in the Walstad method) under the sand? Your fishes and your plants are beautiful! I wish I could have 7 tanks, lol!!

kallililly1973

DFSmith said:
Loving your tanks!! I noticed that you have some plants planted directly in the sand. Do you use root tabs, or do you have soil (dirt, as in the Walstad method) under the sand? Your fishes and your plants are beautiful! I wish I could have 7 tanks, lol!!
All my tanks have pool filter sand except for my 29 tiger barb tank has organic soil capped with PFS. That tank started off outside last summer with a few ramshorns and guppies as an experiment and honestly has become my favorite tank since moving it inside ( don't tell my other tanks )...Thanks for the compliments! Glad u enjoyed them!!

DFSmith

kallililly1973 said:
All my tanks have pool filter sand except for my 29 tiger barb tank has organic soil capped with PFS. That tank started off outside last summer with a few ramshorns and guppies as an experiment and honestly has become my favorite tank since moving it inside ( don't tell my other tanks )...Thanks for the compliments! Glad u enjoyed them!!
You're very welcome, they are all beautiful indeed!
So, for the tanks that don't have organic soil, do you still use some kind of fertilizer? I use Flourish on my tank, but since I have sand on the bottom, I didn't think it was possible to have plants directly on the sand (I have Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss and Bolbitis on rocks and driftwood).

kallililly1973

DFSmith said:
You're very welcome, they are all beautiful indeed!
So, for the tanks that don't have organic soil, do you still use some kind of fertilizer? I use Flourish on my tank, but since I have sand on the bottom, I didn't think it was possible to have plants directly on the sand (I have Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss and Bolbitis on rocks and driftwood).
oppps sorry forgot to answer that question. The tanks with PFS I add Flourish root tabs and I also use Nilog Thrive. That cobination has worked very well for me. The flourish your using only has trace nutrients where as an all in one fert will benefit your plants a lot more. I started off the same way with flourish and flourish excel and they did ok but since changing to Thrive everything has grown amazing. and to be honest I haven't dosed anything in the past month or 2 aside from pushing a root tab in the sand tanks.

Gizmo1

DFSmith said:
Thank you.My substrate is sand plasting sand and for the plants I just use flourish that is all.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom