K9 Advantix Warning! Always Wash Your Hands!

1. Corine

Corine Well Known Member Member

A WARNING TO FISH/SHRIMP PEOPLE! WASH YOUR HANDS BEFORE WORKING IN YOUR TANKS! ESPECIALLY AFTER TOUCHING ANIMALS TREATED FOR FLEAS!
    Just got home from a really stressful day at work(I'm a dog groomer) and decided to do a water change on the tank to relax.
    Shortly after I took about 4 gallons out of my 15 gallon and start picking out the hair algae, the shrimp started seizing.
    Apparently I didn't wash the k9 advantix from my last dog off of my hands well enough and I just nuked my inverts. :(
    I know better, but I was so tired that I made a stupid mistake.
    Always wash your hands, especially after touching animals that have been given flea treatments, or spraying insecticides or copper fungicides. Inverts are especially sensitive to both insecticides and copper. I may lose all of my stock because I made a stupid mistake.
    Sharing this in hopes that it will prevent at least one person from making the same mistake. I know most people treat their pets at home with flea preventatives, especially this time of year.
    I've done two 4 gallon water changes already and will probably do another again shortly. No change in behavior in the white clouds or pygmy cory.

2. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Not to be that guy here, but never wash your hands with soap before putting them in the tank. Soap can kill fish. Just rinse with hot water.

3. C

ChiefBrody Member Member

Any pesticides should be scrubbed off immediately after exposure with something like a pumice/big orange type product. Not only do they lead to cancer and Parkinson's in humans most are EXTREMELY lethal to fish. Bug bombs and commercial pest treatments should never be used in the fish room or allowed to drain into natural waterways. Diatomaceous food grade earth is a safer alternative if you're having an infestation in these areas

4. OP
    OP
    Corine

Corine Well Known Member Member

I would argue that if contaminated, especially with an oil based product, you should definitely use soap or another surfactant to remove it. You of course want to rinse your hands very well with hot water, water may not be enough to remove certain things. Many topical flea and tick preventives are oily and difficult to remove with just water.
    One berried female has survived, btw. So that's a plus.