Juwel Rio 400

JuliaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi all,

I am very naughty and seem to have MTS.....

When i got my main tank in september I had planned on just keeping guppies and otehr small livebearers etc.... However, the more i learn the more i liek some of the larger fish i've seen, eg rainbows and torepdo barbs which are way too big for my tank...

So i am kinda half on the lookout for a second tank of 300l+.... I'm torn, i really want one, but only had the current one for 3months and it was new... so i've spent about £400 on it.....

Ayway, whilst browsing ebay the otehr day I saw this tank... very close to me and in black too (to match the living room furniture)....

Any opinions?

It seems really dirty at the min, but aside from that does anyone have experience of this tank? ANy questions I should ask seller? How much is a fair price for this?

Thanks

gunner13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi Julia, i have the rio 260 and i love it everything all neatly inside the tank. My only concern would be that it has been used for saltwater and would take alot of cleaning. Also it doesn't seem to have the original lid (but the seller might have it in storage). £300 is good for that tank as mine cost me £500 new and it's only a 260. Personaly i would look for 1 that has only been used for freshwater. Good luck and feel free to ask me anything about the juwel systems.

Nick

JuliaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you. I'm going to send him an email now with usual questions about scratches and leaks etc so will ask about hood too.

How would i go about cleaning it out for freshwater? Is it possible?

I'll be honest, I made him an offer a lot lower than the £300 , thinking he'd tell me to get stuffed and he seemed fairly receptive, I think it helps I'm only 5 min down the road and have an MPV that i can take the seats out of to transport it..... so i'm a bit tempted.... Naughty MTS!

gunner13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Be carefull with the original lid. I have had several juwels and they have been the only problem( well the light fittings any way). On the new juwels they garantee them for 2 years now but seeing as the 400 your looking at is 3-4yrs old i would suspect the light strip to not work and they are not cheap. On the bright side(no pun intended) You can upgrade to the T5 fittings which are now standard on all big juwel tanks.

As for cleaning it out, the idea is clean and rinse, clean and rinse untill you are happy it is spottless. Some people use a mild bleach mix but i would use vineger to break down the salt residue left on the tank. Also Change all the filter sponges in the filter box for brand new ones and get a box of juwel cirax(small stones in a clear holed box) for your good bacteria.

Hope this helps.

Nick

JuliaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks very much Nick,

I have sent an email with lots of questions to the guy but no reply as yet...

gunner13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well good luck with that. There is always the friday-ad, that has had a few juwels in recently or preloved.com. Keep me posted on how you get on with the juwel.

Nick

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom