Juwel Lido 120 Tank - Marine Aquarium Advice

Les Miz <3

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi, I’m considering converting my 120L freshwater aquarium into a marine aquarium, so I have a few questions- sorry if these have all been asked before! It does say it’s reef compatible on the cover, it’s called a Juwel Lido 120.

1) Is this big enough for a beginner marine aquarium?

2) I’ve been using the term ‘marine’, is this the same or different to ‘saltwater’ lol (am I speaking any sense haha)

3) What are good beginner fish or anemones?
(Can I get a pair of clownfish in my aquarium? I also heard you can get pufferfish, is this true/ can any live in a community?)

4) Can anyone recommend good affordable equipment?

Again, I’m sorry if these have been asked before...

Thanks!

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
1) Yes it is good for a few smaller marine fish

2) It's different words to describe the same thing

3) a pair of Ocellaris (ie Nemo) or Percula Clownfish would be fine choices for a beginner fish as they are generally very hardy. Anemones are a bit of a different story, they generally require well established tanks with bright light to do well. Honestly many clownfish are captive bred these days and actually don't have a clue what to do with a 'nem so you really don't need one. You can get a small pufferfish, but that's really pushing it with that size tank and it will severely limit your options for corals, invertebrates (ie snails, hermit crabs, shrimp) as they are not known to be "reef safe" they are also prone to nipping at the fins of other fish

4) If you were in the US, I could give you a list, but the UK is horribly overpriced and very limited for the hobby (as they are for most commercial products). If you can find the following via something like amazon UK then I would recommend it. Fluval (aka Aquaclear) 50 or 70 HOB (Hang On Back) filter. For smaller tanks they are super versatile, you can either run something like a mix of carbon and GFO (Granulated Ferric Oxide) to reduce phosphates or you can modify it into a refugium filter and run cheato (macro algae that consumes nitrates). You will need a powerhead/wavemaker and Jebao or a Hydor Koralia 3rd Gen would do the job nicely. A refractometer to measure the salinity levels in your saltwater, a marine compatible tank heater. Probably the biggest challenge will be finding either an RODI system or a source of RODI water, you don't want to use treated tap water in a saltwater tank as you will have out of control algae problems among other things, the RODI system strips out all the minerals/solids to ensure they won't be a problem. You will also need either live rock or dry rock (since the rockwork is what maintains the cycle in a saltwater tank) and a substrate will allow you to have the option of sand sifting/burrowing fish (ie gobies).

New Threads