Juvenile SRT and other cichlids..

1. Greener907

Greener907 Valued Member Member

I have a 55 gallon established planted tank..I have just recently dipped into the cichlid species. For my birthday, I got 3 juvenile Super Red Texas (one bonsai, one short body, and one regular body). I also added a blood jewel and a firemouth. & 5 giant Danio (recommendation of the LFS to add a less aggressive energy to the tank) Yesterday I got 5 yellow labs. I had cory cats, but I moved them to a different tank because the cichlids were eating all their food! I plan on upgrading to a 120 or 150 gallon in 4 months or so, when my juveniles start getting larger. My question is, am I going to have to remove the yellow labs after my other cichlids get bigger, or will they all co-exist fine? Also, I'm looking for suggestions on decorations, and tank set up..

Thanks!

2. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

The SRTs will probably destroy the other fish in there well before 4 months are up.

3. OP
    OP
    Greener907

My blood jewel is actually bossing them around, you think that'll change?

I was told by my LFS guy that the SRTs are about 6 months old now..but everything else I have in there will be roughly similar size/temperament. I'm new at this, so i'm always open to hearing what other people have experienced with the SRT's

4. slayer5590

None of your other fish will be able to match them in aggression. The jewel will hang until they outgrow it. The labs and the firemouth have no chance against them.

5. OP
    OP
    Greener907

Ok, well it's good I know now. They didn't tell me they wouldn't be aggressive, but they did say I'd have a better chance if I got them when they're small. How long do you think I have before I need to move the others out of the tank? And is 3 ok to have in the same tank if they are 2 female and 1 male? (not sure of sex yet cause they are so young..)

6. slayer5590

How big are they now?

7. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

My Texas cichlid was never crazy aggressive. I Kept him with JD's, BP's and an Oscar. He was never any more aggressive than the other fish. I think stories about them get exaggerated.

8. slayer5590

Red Texas rank right up there with flowerhorns on the aggression scale. If your Texas wasn't aggressive you got lucky.

9. OP
    OP
    Greener907

We'll they were only 6 months old..about 2 inches. But I took them back and got the adult female they had and she's very shy and skiddish. I couldn't get all the fish out before I added her so I'm hoping to get the rest out sometime this week. She's hiding behind anything she can and is scared of the other fish. I want to eventually put fish with her that she won't eat and that won't freak her out. I've heard tiger barbs are good to put with them cause they're bigger and a bit tougher. Maybe adding a BP eventually. I had to cover the tank to make her more comfortable and hopefully get used to the tank. I'll add a pic soon, she's beautiful

[​IMG]

10. OP
    OP
    Greener907

My new SRT, Wanda.

[​IMG]

Any ideas on a tank set up? I have a 55 gallon with a piece of driftwood and another "driftwood like" cave thing from petsmart. Also have plants...

11. slayer5590

Very nice SRT there.

12. OP
    OP
    Greener907

Thank you!! I know it could change, but she's not threatened by the other fish from what I've seen. The guy at my LFS said he thinks she's a bit "slow". She is fertile, but has no interest in mating, and she's very docile. He thinks she suffered some ammonia poisoning when she was in transit up here..not a lot of water in the bag and he said she doesn't act like a typical SRT. So we'll see..Any ideas on tank mates for her down the road when she gets comfortable? I also got a 6" pleco, and there's a rainbow shark in there too..along with the straggler fish I couldn't catch yesterday (juvenile blood jewel, 2 giant danio, 2 juvenile yellow labs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. slayer5590

I would leave things the way they are right now and see how she acts with the other fish in there.

14. OP
    OP
    Greener907

Sounds like a good idea. :;thx

15. slayer5590

Just be ready to rehome the rest if she decides to start killing them.

16. OP
    OP
    Greener907

My LFS said they would take them back, so if she does, I always have that as a backup plan. I also have a piece of decoration the fish could hide in that she can't get to, if it happens while i'm at work or at night..

17. OP
    OP
    Greener907

So as of now, I don't have any bottom feeders, I only have a pleco. Is there a bottom feeder that I can add to my tank that I don't have to worry about getting eaten/picked on? I have seen jumbo corys at my LFS, would they be ok to add?

18. C

What do you currently have in the tank? It's a 55 right?

19. OP
    OP
    Greener907

Yes 55. I have 2 yellow labs, 2 giant danio, 1 blood jewel, 1 pleco, 1 rainbow shark and the SRT.

20. C

That's a lot of fish for a 55. What are you feeding them? High protein food can eventually kill the labs. I wouldn't add anything else until you've got a bigger tank.