Juvenile Severum Aggression

Achilles

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi everyone, haven't posted on here for awhile due to lack of time, but I have a situation with my 75 gallon that's been running for about 2 months now.

At first, my severum was super shy and would barely come out, this lasted for about a week. Now he's out and about and as rowdy as ever. He's about 3 inches now and my blue acara and blue gourami are each around 2.5 inches. Most of the time either of them come around him, he'll chase them away - sometimes even ramming against them or even nipping (however this is rare). There are other times however when he is completely calm and doesn't care at all about the other fish in the tank.

Another odd thing is that he pays no mind to the tetras, bolivian rams, or BN pleco in the tank, he only picks on the acara and gourami. This behavior seems to get worse before/during/after feeding time.

He's been acting like this for around 3-4 weeks. At first I figured he was just establishing his dominance, but now I'm not sure if it'll go away. He will be the biggest one in the tank, and will be able to do more damage as he grows older, which is what I'm afraid of.

I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on what to do. Is this typical of juvenile severums? Should I replace him? Or any other suggestions would be great, I'm all ears.

McGoo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I like the severums myself, however they do tend to be in the semi aggressive side. I had the green severum, loved his coloring but was messing with what I was trying to do with my aqua scaped community tank. I hope you don't have a planted tank because mine ate the deck out of my plants. You may have to make a decision whether or not to keep him. Being a cichlid, I dont think he'll mellow out much more. I could be wrong. Good luck

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom