Juvenile guppy/ gender

Trvlpk

Hello all,

New to this forum. I have kept live bearing fish before but it has been about 20 years. I recently decided to get a couple guppies and while searching the pet store tank I found a baby and brought it home as well. I believe it to be a female and would like to introduce it to the adult tank but would like confirmation before I do so. Also I know it's hard to tell from pictures, but do you think this particular juvenile is big enough to survive moving?

Attachments

• 20210911_170956.jpg
    20210911_170956.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210911_171921.jpg
    20210911_171921.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 19

HupGuppHup

Shouldn't be a problem. I've found that the only risk from bigger fish is in the first 10 or 20 seconds, sometimes an alpha fish will lunge - its sort of a reflex I think. After that they don't seem to care. I just try to release behind a plant or out of the way somehow.

veggieshark

It is a female and if all you have is guppies in the tank she is old enough to be released in the tank.

For extra assurance, observe the behavior when you release, they will probably ignore her as food. if anything goes after her as in wanting to eat her, you may consider putting back into the box.

Trvlpk

Thanks! I just floated her along with the 10 others from a different fish and 2 of 3 of the adults (females) immediately targeted the box. But I too think she should be big enough to be safe. It's a 15 gallon tank with 3 decor items that are hiding places along with several artificial plants... I'm working on growing real.
Shouldn't be a problem. I've found that the only risk from bigger fish is in the first 10 or 20 seconds, sometimes an alpha fish will lunge - its sort of a reflex I think. After that they don't seem to care. I just try to release behind a plant or out of the way somehow.
Thank you for your response. I will be attempting it... with net at the ready!

emeraldking

It's a female and good to go into the adult tank. No worries...

Similar Aquarium Threads

• WendiWoo
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Rojizo
  • Question
  • ziyi1010
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
ziyi1010