Juvenile Guppy Eating Smaller Guppy Tails

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Brannor, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Brannor

Brannor Valued Member Member

Yes... quite...

In the past few weeks I've found one or two smaller guppies with missing tails, and I wasn't sure if it was disease or what... until today after taking out yet another 1cm guppy from the community tank...

I watched from across the room at what I thought was an older 3cm guppy female looked to be swimming with some white plastic in her mouth... I walked up and was horrified to see her swimming with a smaller guppy in her mouth, tail first... it was like watching a miniature Jaws movie with the poor smaller fish flaying about as his/her tail was being chewed on!

That cannibal is now in a QT...but is this normal? Do some guppies get a taste for guppy tail and eat other guppies' tails???

I'll be checking on the injured one to see if he/she survives, but it looks quite traumatised.

-G

2. Gator BOSS

Gator BOSS New Member Member

Yes that's normal. Guppies tend to get cannibalistic towards smaller guppies/fry. Never keep guppies of different sizes together unless you want the smaller ones to get eaten.

3. OP
    OP
    Brannor

Brannor Valued Member Member

The victim survives... (has just eaten, so the full belly).

8imKzdY.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice