Juvenile Clown Pleco died. Are these eggs?

1. MOAChaser Initiate Member

I woke up this morning and my clown pleco was laying on its side at the bottom of the tank. When I got it out, I noticed these yellow sacs coming from its vent, and its vent had a little blood around it.

Are these eggs? There was one, and by massaging its belly again two more popped out before its burial at sea.

[​IMG]

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

3. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

They look like it to me.
    sorry for your loss.

4. Cef Member Member

Juvenile carrying eggs? What may have caused the death? Curious to know

5. MOAChaser Initiate Member

I just did a water test and it seems like my tank which was cycled fine last week has spiked. Nitrites around 2-4, and ammonia around .5. The ammonia was disappearing in well under a day, as were the nitrites, then I got (4) 1" long cory cats and the pleco. The ammonia started tinging green... this is a 90 gallon tank. Now the levels are getting higher. Almost like my tank un-cycled?? Off to do an emergency water change...

6. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Clown plecos are hardy and can usually stand spikes most of the time. How long have you had the 90gal?

7. MOAChaser Initiate Member

It's been setup and cycling for several weeks. These are our first fish in it.

8. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

How many is a few weeks? 3 weeks? 4 weeks?
    What kind of pleco did you add a few days ago?

9. MOAChaser Initiate Member

4 weeks. I found the issue.

We did a 90% water change (below the intake) a few days to get the nitrates down before we got the fish. Apparently we neglected to turn the filter back on... so all the bacteria didn't get a chance to work on the ammonia. Dumb, dumb mistake. The spray bar is well below the surface so we didn't notice.

10. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Yea sadly when you turn the filter off for a long time, you lose bacteria.

11. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

How much ammonia were you dosing? And you did get nitrates the same time ammonia and nitrite zeroed out? What's your pH?

12. MOAChaser Initiate Member

I was putting in 10mL of ammonia per day. It, and the nitrites, were being zeroed in less than a day. Nitrates went high of course so we did a massive water change to bring them down. I just completed a 50% change and the filter is running again.

The filter was shut off Sunday, so I'm sure we didn't kill off all the bacteria.

13. slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

How long was your canister off? Canister filters will very often turn septic if left off for more than 24 hours.