Juvenile Chili Rasbora deaths

Trekker1125

Hey all, I was able to find some chili rasboras at a LFS, but they were TINY. I was hesitant about taking them home since they were still so small, but I had been in search of them for a while so I went for it. I have an established qt setup and appropriately sized food options, so I figured I would just keep them in the qt a little longer until they were closer to full grown before putting them in the display tank. They had 10 of them (possibly more, but they were really difficult to see in the tanks since there were other fish and plants in the tanks as well), so I took all 10. When I got home 1 was already going sideways and just barely moving, then another 3 died that evening. Lost another 2 overnight, and then 1 the next day and 1 the next evening, which leaves me with two. They made it through the night, but neither of them ate this morning. They both look well though (besides not coming to the top to feed). I called the store about it and found out they had just gotten them in the same day I picked them up, which means they had only been in their tanks for an hour or two before getting pulled out and transferred again to a new home (I should have thought to ask about that before, I know. Also, they had gotten 15 of them in, but they aren't sure if the other 5 sold or what because they don't see them in the tank). I guess my question would be, when getting nano fish as juveniles, what is the best practice for ensuring they survive? 2/10 survival rate wasn't what I had in mind for these guys. I've never had a mass die off like this. Would going through an online distributor be the best route so that it's direct from point A to point B, rather than A to B to C? Is there anything else I should be doing different for these tiny guys (compared to juveniles of other "larger" species like cherry barbs, carydoras, etc)? I can't find these guys at any lfs within 50ish miles, and the online distributors generally only sell really young juveniles. Should I give up on them and look at other species, or give it another go with an online order?

Yeoy

I'd say there was either a problem with your acclimation process, or it was the shock of a dual acclimation from your LFS and then again to your home. It's hard to know unless you ask, but a good rule of thumb is never to buy fish that have only been in the LFS a few days.

Upvote 0

CTYankee79

I agree with the above, also curious if you fed them at all. I’ve found really tiny fish can be overeat and become bloated and die very quickly, especially in a new tank or when they first come home.

Upvote 0

Trekker1125

I'd say there was either a problem with your acclimation process, or it was the shock of a dual acclimation from your LFS and then again to your home.
I've never had an issue with the acclimation process before. That's why I thought the double acclimation in such a short period of time may have been an issue, especially since one was already dying before I even got them out of the bag, followed by 3 more who were visibly struggling. I probably should have taken them straight back to the store at that point, but I was hoping once they were acclimated and in a more comfy environment the 6 remaining would pull through.
I agree with the above, also curious if you fed them at all. I’ve found really tiny fish can be overeat and become bloated and die very quickly, especially in a new tank or when they first come home.
I did feed them, but only a smidgen because I was afraid of overfeeding them. 4 of them had already died the first evening, which was before the first feeding though.

I feel pretty crappy about losing them, especially not knowing why or if it was something I did/could have done different. I don't think I'll be trying such little fishies for a while.

Upvote 0

connorjs1004

Could have been the double acclimation or could have been some disease or infection. Both are common when buying fish from lfs. Disease/infection are probably twice as common when you essentially got them from the distributor.

I recommend flip aquatics to buy nano fish. They have a large variety of tetras/rasboras and other fish and they quarantine their fish for 30 days before they ship them. And 95% of reviews say all the fish arrived healthy.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
WRWAquarium
Replies
Views
Basil
Replies