Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi Everyone,
Today I aquired a juvenile blood red parrot cichlid. He was my cousins and she is moving out of state and could not take him. Hes a small juvenile maybe only 3 inches right now. Problem, she only has a 10 gallon tank for him. I brought him home hes in his tank (the ten gallon she had) but hes acting very clumsy. I have the plants in it that she had, a mix of plastic and silks and some ceramic statues she had. She said he will eat nothing but brine shrimp and thats all hes eaten since she got him 4 months ago
I tried some blood worms he didnt go near them but he totally gobbled up the brine shrimp. This is my first BRP cichlid and already im enjoying him very much hes so cute and seems to have a personality. Hes another addition to my large fish family. My question to all of you experienced cichlid keepers is should he be in a bigger tank like NOW or should I wait and would a 20 gallon be large enough for a single BRP cichlid? Thanks all.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would get a larger tank ASAP. At 3" it has definitley out grown a 10gal. A minimum of 40gal is needed for just one of them. Here's a link to a profile for them that is full of really usefull info: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/feb09/br-parrot-cichlid.htm

Your going to need to get it to eat something other than brine shrimp for it to remain healthy. It might be hard but stop feeding for 2-3 days & then try giving it a different sort of food. A suitable pellet or flake would be best to get it onto. keep persisting with the new food until it eventually eats it. It might take several days or even a week or more but if you remain strong the fish should eat when it gets hungry enough. It's important that you do not give in & feed the brine shrimp during this time. Fish can go without food for two weeks with no problems but if it hasn't eaten the new food by then, give it some brine shrimp for 2-3 days & then try again.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning AquaGirl.

Great advice from Nutter.

Due to the fact that your fish is in a new environment, moved around a bit and naturally shy as juveniles, it may take a while for him to realize that what you are feeding him is food. It may take several weeks for him to feel comfortable in his new home. Try not to worry too much and continue to try different foods. Fish need a varied diet. As long as the fish has good color, clear eyes, fins look good and no visible signs of illness or parasites it's probably ok. They are clumsy and will swim in every direction possible

You may not always see the fish eat. It may come out at night when the lights are out and forage around. I say it will eat when it gets hungry Keep trying the different foods, maybe even feed him at night a time or two and just leave it alone. Don't over feed. Just because he may not be eating is no reason to feed the fish again

To make these fish feel more comfortable they really need some hiding spots. New terracotta pots that aren't glazed or painted in any way work really well. As they get older in years they may not hide at all.

In the link below is what I use as a staple to feed my Bloody Parrots. It's OSI Blood Red Parrot Pellets. I haven't found these in my local PetCo and I order it from the site in the link. Very reliable company and the pellets come in different sizes.

In addition I feed them presoaked, freeze dried krill. Presoaking prevents the krill from swelling in the fishes stomach causing bloat and constipation. They also get Cichlid Pellets, broken up Algae Wafers, Shrimp Pellets, there isn't much that they won't eat in the line of aquarium fish food. (I'd avoid flake foods for this species).

My largest Blood Red Parrot ( Bloody Parrot, BP) is 9x6.5 inches. I highly recommend as Nutter does 1 for 40 gallons and 2 in no less than 55g. I highly recommend that these fish be kept in pairs if not more. If you can upgrade to a 55g I'm sure your fish will love it and love a buddy of his own kind. You'll see an amazing difference in it's behavior.

If you'll click on my name in the left corner of this post and go to my profile, I have photos and a video of my tank and Bloody Parrots.

I have also moved your thread to the Hybrid Fish/Blood Red Parrot section of the forum.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.
Best wishes!
Ken

Last edited:

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is my first BRP cichlid and already im enjoying him very much hes so cute and seems to have a personality.
You've heard from the pros, so I'll just add this. You were right about the personality. I swear my BPs are little dogs in disguise. They literally float in their tank and watch me, no matter where I am in the room. If I approach the tank, they wiggle over and bob around at my eye level. It's really cool.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glad to hear it Aquagirl!

When you can, upgrade to a small pellet and see how well that works. It may take some time but he'll learn eventually Aren't they neat creatures?

Ken

OP
Aquagirl1978

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hes ADORABLE!!!!!!!!! He greets me at the corner of the tank and surfaces and kind of bobs his head oh I LOVE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will try some pellets sometime this week now that I at least got him eating something other than shrimp. Thanks Ken

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glad to help anytime AquaGirl I'm greeted by a big orange blob every morning and I usually get soaked while feeding. I love it though and wouldn't change a thing

Ken

OP
Aquagirl1978

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thank you, my new pride and joy, my gouramis seem quite jealous, they now come to their tanks edge when I come in the room.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aquagirl I was just looking at your Aquarium Profile Information and you have a lot of fish in there I hope that you are able to upgrade the Bloody Parrot before too long. I'm concerned for your Frog especially.

Once the Bloody Parrot adapts to his new home, chances are he's going to rule the tank. Keep in mind he is a cichlid (assuming it's a he), they are generally a more peaceful cichlid but they can have aggression issues when they want.

You have to be careful what tank mates you select for the Bloody Parrots. The BP's cannot defend themselves by biting as other fish do, due to the shapes or their mouth.

Just a few cautions for you

Ken

OP
Aquagirl1978

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh my BP is by himself I havent added the new tank to my profile yet.

Guppies, snail, 2 ghost shrimp 2 corydoras and female betta in one 10 gallon with 20 gallon filtration, 2 Gouramis, 2 glass catfish pink glofish frog and 2 ghost shrimp in 20 gallon with 30 gallon filtration, and finally BRP in ten gallon temporarily with 20 gallon filtration. Is it possible to put a LARGE snail in with my BRP? Wasnt sure and didnt want to go get one before i knew for sure.

Oh and I forgot, My fry are in a 5 gallon by themselves also, im still a little untrusting of the mother and her tankmates.

Merged posts, back to back.
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BP are awesome. I have 8 of these a little smaller than what you have. I've never had aggression issues with mine. They are very well behaved, get along with everybody and are great fun to watch.
Mine will eat anything I give them. I'm think about mixing raw frozen peas in their diet.

OP
Aquagirl1978

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
When I upgrade my tank (I have told everyone my 55 gallon tank wishlist) I will definately get another one, My little guy Atlas needs a buddy.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glad to hear it AquaGirl.

The only time I have aggression issues is during spawning and when a new fish has been added. They respond to the new addition as a group and can be relentless in their chasing. After about an hour everything settles down and they treat the new fish like it's been in the tank all along. (my experience)

I've read that others have had issues of aggression when the BP is larger than the other fish. Smaller fish could be at risk for aggression.

Over all...I agree a very peaceful species, for the most part

Have fun! Keep us posted.
Ken

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning AquaGirl,

I would think the snail would be fine. I haven't actually tried snails with my BP's . I have a feeling he may find it interesting for a little while and then forget about it. The only thing I can say for sure here, is to try it and see. Keep your eye on it for a while.
Keep us posted.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%