Juvenile Black Marble Angelfish Not Eating

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by mossman, Jan 24, 2019.

1. mossman

mossmanWell Known MemberMember

I picked up a juvenile black marble angelfish from my LFS about 2 weeks ago, and he is not eating. At least I never see him eat. He ate a freeze dried bloodworm and took a couple pecks at some flake food the first couple days I had him, but I have not seen him eat anything since. He mostly hides behind/under the almond leaves I put in there a couple days after I got him. I dosed the tank with API General Cure and a low does of Levamisole HCL (worried that I cross contaminated from my 20 gallon by sharing tools), so I don't think he's sick. He comes out now and then to swim around, but he is disinterested by food. I increased the temperature to 78 a couple days ago, but this made no difference. I just read online that someone is recommending increasing the temperature to 95-96 for 7 to 10 days after getting new angelfish, I believe to increase their metabolism/appetite. This seems crazy to me. Is this safe to do? Below are my water parameters (this is a 10 gallon quarantine tank). The only thing that appears off to me is the level of phosphate. Would a phosphate of 1 to 2 ppm make an angel unhappy/sick and suppress his/her appetite? I plan on picking up some Phosguard this evening to get the level down (the excess phosphate is coming from my tap water). I've been turning on the light very dimly since the second day. Should I keep the light off until he gets more comfortable? I have a bottle of Vitachem. Should I put a few drops in the tank per day to provide some nutrients?

Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 5 ppm
    kH: 3°
    gH: 4°
    pH: 7.6
    PO4: 1.5 to 2ppm
    Temp: 78°
    Volume: 10 gallon (bare bottom with one artificial plant and two almond leaves)
    Filtration: Aquaclear 20 with coarse sponge and Seachem Matrix, Fluval surface skimmer

2. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Not a good idea to bump the temp up to the mid 90's. 78 to 82 degrees is fine. For finicky eaters, Omega One small grain
    sinking Cichlid pellets, have worked many times for me.

3. OP
    OP
    mossman

4. A201

If the Angel was healthy the NLS should have worked. Might be a good idea just to invest in another Angelfish. Before buying a fish have the employee feed the fish you're interested in to make sure its eating. Also hand pick each fish, don't let the employee net out random fish. Hope things level out soon.

5. OP
    OP
    mossman

I'm not going to give up just yet. This was one of two at the LFS, so not many to pick from. I picked him out nonetheless. As I stated earlier, he ate a few bites the first several days I had him. Would 2ppm of phosphate make him sick and/or suppress his appetite?

6. A201

Phosphate does not harm aquarium fish and shouldn't hinder a fish's appetite. Phosphates can cause algae blooms, which can deplete oxygen, which isn't a good thing.

7. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Sorry your angel isn't eating.

Could be stress. An empty 10g doesn't offer much security. I'd put more floating plants or décor or something to let him feel more comfortable. Did you give him a couple days to settle in at least before medicating? Fish often don't have much appetite when brought home from the LFS, this doesn't mean they are sick. Just stressed.

Are the fish in your 20g sick? Why are you afraid you may have caused the fish to get sick by contaminating the tank with your other tank's water? just curious.

Can you share a photo of your angel?

8. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

The PO4 should not be an issue at all.
    I hate to recommend another food but , try something frozen.
    I use frozen blood worms for almost every fish who is stubborn.
    I have 6 angels now that have breed and seem by most accounts to be healthy. I feed my fish 1 or 2 times a day and do well feeding as much as I want to even their juveniles that are 5 inches tall easy . The 6 eat nothing that I can tell ! I swear I vacumm out what ever I offer ? They peck at freeze dried blackworms or frozen blood worms maybe 1 or 2 times a week ?I mean they don't eat in total what some of their offspring eat in one bite ? Am I concerned ? Yup . Can I do much for them ? Nope . I keep these fish in good quality water and have had them for about a year.
    Long and short is if it doesn't look sick or to be deteriorating then not much to do ?
    levamisole is a good med but other wormers/protozoa meds work better on more common internal parasite.
    Look into Metronidazole and praziquantel for a combo med treatment.
    Here is a link ;

9. OP
    OP
    mossman

Got home this evening and found him dead. So frustrating. He had two large almond leaves to hide behind/under, which he did. My water parameters are spot on, and I did everything by the book AFAIK. Maybe I did him with the 36 hour dose of Levamisole a less than a week after I got him. I did a round of General Cure prior to that. How long should I wait before administering these preventative medications after bringing fish home? Guess it's to the LFS to pick up another experiment :/

10. OP
    OP
    mossman

API General Cure contains these chemicals.

Am I approaching this precautionary treatment thing wrong? I figure it's best to play it safe and treat new fish regardless if they are showing symptoms.

The only other thing I question is this bottle of Prime I have. It has a black ring around the inside bottom and smells super fowl. Seachem says it's fine, but I can help but be skeptical. I've lost a Bolivian Ram and two Angelfish now for no clear reason.

11. OP
    OP
    mossman

Just measured the water again. From left to right: Tank ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, tap water ammonia.

Attached Files:

12. OP
    OP
    mossman

That's quite a bit of ammonia in my tap water. Maybe too much for my little Aquaclear 20 to consume quickly. I don't like this tiny filter anyhow. Think I'll pick up an AQ30 tomorrow when I get yet another angel.

13. OP
    OP
    mossman

Just measured the nitrate in my tap water, and it's about 4ppm. I'm assuming this is not an issue.

14. coralbandit

4 nitrate should be no problem .
    Move your media from the 20 to the 30 so not to lose your BB.
    I would use a double dose of prime on water changes to detoxify the ammonia.
    A simple pool chlorinetest kit will tell you if the prime is working on the chlorine .

15. OP
    OP
    mossman

Now a Cory in my third tank is sick. He's pale and not moving much. I dosed API GC and Ich-X last night. He's still alive this morning, but I'm worried. Hope he pulls through. Fishkeeping trials and tribulations!

I shared a net amongst tanks and pulled some media from another infected tank (before I realized it was infected), so all three of my tanks are infected. Two have been treated successfully, so hopefully the third tank also goes well.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  16. coralbandit

Good luck .