Juvenile Betta Stripes

Shorb

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello! 3 weeks ago I rescued a baby betta, and he looked like this
93E43143-8995-4B05-9EB1-CCA64194D735.jpeg

He’s been growing and eating and swimming just fine in his uncycled (it was an unexpected rescue long story) 3.4gal with daily water changes and live plants.
Today when I got home he looked like this. I thought his color was filling in because for the past week or so he had been a darker greyish brown color (stripes still visible), but when I got home he had no stripes.
330DA728-B732-4B98-894C-74D4814927CE.jpeg

However, when I did a water change as usual, he lightened up and the stripes appeared again!
B00559B9-2B5F-4C58-9C46-682817FA94EC.jpeg

Now I’m confused if those stripes are juvenile stripes or stress stripes...if they are from stress does it mean he’s been stressed for 3 weeks straight

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are stress stripes, juveniles shouldn't show them unless they are displaying to avoid aggression from a more dominant betta. He just needs to get used to the water changes is all.

Shorb

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They are stress stripes, juveniles shouldn't show them unless they are displaying to avoid aggression from a more dominant betta. He just needs to get used to the water changes is all.
O no I feel so bad now! Should I cut back on water changes to every other day? I use Prime, but I heard you’re supposed to do daily water changes when you have babies because they release a growth inhibiting hormone

Taylover26

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am currently raising a baby Betta (he’s almost 5 months now actually) and he would display the stress stripes for maybe the first month during water changes. But after that he started to get used to them! As long as he’s not displaying the stripes continually, I would think you should be fine. He will get used to the water change.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I will tell you this from experience, young bettas will get stress stripes at the drop of a hat. I can be observing my betta fry/juveniles and watch them go from a normal solid colored red to the stress stripe. They're not even stressed but begging for food.

Lovely little fish BTW, I bet it will end up a royal blue color as an adult.

Shorb

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Whew thanks guys, thought I’ve been doing something wrong
I’m very excited to see how he turns out! Thanks everyone

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom