Juvenile Betta Stripes

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Shorb, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Shorb

Shorb New Member Member

Hello! 3 weeks ago I rescued a baby betta, and he looked like this
    93E43143-8995-4B05-9EB1-CCA64194D735.jpeg
    He’s been growing and eating and swimming just fine in his uncycled (it was an unexpected rescue long story) 3.4gal with daily water changes and live plants.
    Today when I got home he looked like this. I thought his color was filling in because for the past week or so he had been a darker greyish brown color (stripes still visible), but when I got home he had no stripes.
    330DA728-B732-4B98-894C-74D4814927CE.jpeg
    However, when I did a water change as usual, he lightened up and the stripes appeared again!
    B00559B9-2B5F-4C58-9C46-682817FA94EC.jpeg

Now I’m confused if those stripes are juvenile stripes or stress stripes...if they are from stress does it mean he’s been stressed for 3 weeks straight

2. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

They are stress stripes, juveniles shouldn't show them unless they are displaying to avoid aggression from a more dominant betta. He just needs to get used to the water changes is all.

3. OP
    OP
    Shorb

Shorb New Member Member

O no :( I feel so bad now! Should I cut back on water changes to every other day? I use Prime, but I heard you’re supposed to do daily water changes when you have babies because they release a growth inhibiting hormone

4. Taylover26

Taylover26 New Member Member

I am currently raising a baby Betta (he’s almost 5 months now actually) and he would display the stress stripes for maybe the first month during water changes. But after that he started to get used to them! As long as he’s not displaying the stripes continually, I would think you should be fine. He will get used to the water change.

5. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

I will tell you this from experience, young bettas will get stress stripes at the drop of a hat. I can be observing my betta fry/juveniles and watch them go from a normal solid colored red to the stress stripe. They're not even stressed but begging for food.

Lovely little fish BTW, I bet it will end up a royal blue color as an adult.

6. OP
    OP
    Shorb

Shorb New Member Member

Whew thanks guys, thought I’ve been doing something wrong
    I’m very excited to see how he turns out! Thanks everyone :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice