Justyn's Aquastyle 980T

1. Justyn Smith Initiate Member

Alrighty then, this will be my first foray in to areas of aquaria that I have never attempted before:

Overflows/sumps and Aquascaping

I'm told that I need to get my DG and neons out of the 36L as they're inappropriate so I'll rehome them in this 240L while I experiment with designs and make plans.

Pics to follow soon...

2. Justyn Smith Initiate Member

[​IMG]

So, here we have the tank as it was given to me.
    As you can see, there is no canopy, only the main tank on a stand, but hey, who's complaining about a free tank and an opportunity to build stuff?!

[​IMG]

The 75mm diameter internal standpipe with 5mm wide, 20mm deep, slots cut for surface skimming and to minimise tank drain when sump pump is turned off.

[​IMG]

The PVC siphon overflow (Joey DIY King style) in place using 25mm UPVC.

After measuring everything I took the overflow out to the shed, placed a 20L bucket on a stand and a 27L tub underneath, filled both with some water and tested both the pump and overflow for function.

[video]https://youtu.be/Z6YWaWJi0k4[/video]

Overflow running, turn pump off and wait for siphon to stop.

[video]https://youtu.be/Sm9sKHsuB3U[/video]

Pump startup and siphon resume.

I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with the flow, but I'll run some tests later and report back with actual, real world, flow records. I might even try reducing the height of the section between the bottom 'U' section and the 'T' joiner to see how that changes the flow rate, and whether or not it affects the reliability of the siphon itself.

3. bigCEE Initiate Member

Looks nice! Especially for free! I like the rounded corners. You'll have a lot of options and possibilities.

4. Justyn Smith Initiate Member

Yeah, cheers mate :)

I've abandoned the DIY overflow with sump as I found, once all the traditional silencing methods had been employed (Durso etc) the only way to reduce the remaining noise was to reduce the flow. If I'm going to reduce flow anyway I might as well buy the original filter/hood which provides for 5X/h circulation, looks better, let's me sleep at night without fear of failure, and will have a warranty.

My initial plan is to build a sandfall and have a hillside with a grassy meadow and trees design, if I can figure out how to do it all.

Here's a rough sketch;
    [​IMG]
    Top down; You get a rough idea of where the hills would be with a sand/light gravel path meandering between the hills, the trees on the right, and the large rock+small rock+soil mountain at the rear left

[​IMG]
    Front view;
    The trees would be dead branches with sponge+Java Moss as a canopy, I'd like to run at least one of the trees breaking the surface to give the illusion of great height.

I haven't decided what I'll use to give the effect of a grassy meadow either. Now that I'm using the original canopy it comes with LED lights and I assume (at this point) that I'll have to keep it Low-Light, although I do have spare parts for a CO2 setup if that becomes necessary I'm hoping to avoid this.

The sandfall mountain would be good if I can get the slope steep enough to make it flow (visually) in to the rest of the landscape without it looking like it's just 'stuck there'. I'll use the same sand/gravel as the path between the hills and hopefully it will look like a river continuing from the base of the fall.

Depending on my skills and ability to learn/experiment, I may end up abandoning this part of the project also and spend the money on a prefabricated background, but I figure why not at least try it first?

5. keddeas Initiate Member

Hi i just wanted to post my video of my aquarium sandfall. you might get some ideas. :)[video=youtube;kFQB7XKBo8U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFQB7XKBo8U[/video]

6. Justyn Smith Initiate Member

Hey, thanks mate.

I had in mind for it to split at some part and your video has given me some idea how to do that, I appreciate the input :;hf