Just wondering about size...

greylady

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Everyone,
About a year ago I set my 20 g long back up. My husband picked out a Marble Molly when we stocked it, and of course as we found out a few months later, she was pregnant. I ended up with over 40 fry. I let them get big enough to sex them and managed to re-home all but 10 (Still trying to re-home about 7 more), I even re-homed the mother as I didn't want to have to re-home another 40 fry in a few months. I separated the males and females and only kept females. Here's my question.. All the Mollies are very close in size except one, which is much smaller, probably 1/2 the size of the others if not smaller. I was just wondering if anyone knew why? They are all from the same batch of fry from the same mother. I know for a fact that the smaller one is NOT a male, nor is she sick, she eats, swims and is as active as the others. They are all completely black except for some slight gold coloring around their gills when they get under the light just right. I'm pretty sure they are all full grown as it's been about 10-11 months since they were born.
There is no problem, I was just wondering if anyone had come across this before? Is it possible they are from different fathers? I know this is possible in cats and dogs and I know if a female Molly is ever in a tank with a male even for a day she will most likely get pregnant. Is it possible to have different fathers but born at the same time? Another thing I found interesting is some have the beginning of a lyre tail and others do not. I just found this all very interesting and I'm the type of person that always wants to know the "why" about things so I just thought I'd get your thoughts on this. I tried to get a picture but they never stop moving especially when I walk up to the tank and even when I do get the small one in the picture she and the others are never the same distance away from the glass at the same time so you can't really see the size difference. Anyway... was just wondering. TIA

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I feel like she’s probably just the runt of the batch or something was wrong earlier in life. In all honesty, if she is a runt or had a defect, she’s lucky to be alive. Either way, I’m glad to hear all appears normal with her.

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Probably just a runt. If shes able to swim and eat, then alls good.

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It does happen that not all offspring of the same batch will reach the same size. Quite normal.

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have N. Similis that are smaller than others, usually just a runt. I’ve never seen any issues with the smaller fish (breeding and health wise)

OP
greylady

greylady

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Everyone!

New Threads