Just wondering about a standard list of levels?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by pirahnah3, Apr 22, 2012.

1. pirahnah3

pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

Ok so I was sitting here thinking about fertilizers and tanks and testing and all that and came looking. Is there a standard list of what tank parameters should be?

I mean we all have what works for us but is there a generic list?

AKA this much iron, this much nitrogen, this much potassium, this much of something else....ect.

I was thinking that if we could get a sticky of the basics it might really help people keep there plants. We always seem to be answering the same questions in relation to fertilizers and plant conditions.

2. toosie

toosieWell Known MemberMember

I'm not positive this is exactly what you are looking for, but Guitarfish.org has a really good guide for what causes different types of algae and how to avoid them. A balanced tank will promote plant growth and the plants will out compete algae for nutrients if everything is in balance. As part of their info they provide the nutrient levels they consider most effective in preventing algae in a planted tank.

Here are their recommended levels to avoid nutrient imbalance as well as the link.

•Nutrient Imbalance – Strive for the following nutrient levels: N (10-20ppm), P (0.5-2ppm), K (10-20ppm), Ca (10-30ppm), Mg (2-5ppm), Fe (.1ppm).
    •Low CO2 – Strive for 20-30ppm concentration of CO2, as permitted by fauna.

3. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

Here are the parameters I aim for in my planted tanks:

Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10-20 PPM
    Phosphate 0.5-2.0 PPM (Although this is impossible with my water!). Test kits must be calibrated as they are notoriously inaccurate, unless using lab quality.
    Potassium 10-20 PPM, but I never test this level. Instead I let my plants tell me when they are not getting enough potassium
    Calcium 10-30 PPM. Use GH/KH kits to estimate levels
    Magnesium 5-20 PPM. Use GH/KH kits to estimate levels
    Iron 0.1-0.2 PPM.
    CO2 30 PPM. Use difference between true water pH and injected water pH. A drop in pH of 1.0 degrees is exactly 30 PPM CO2 saturation

Hope this helps.

4. OP
    OP
    pirahnah3

pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

Dena, that is EXACTLY the type of list I was thinking about. I personally like goals to aim for and numbers that Ican see that work. I think that having these available for people who want to have planted tanks and really want to get into it these numbers will really help them out. I know I am going to print them out and see what I cant do about keeping some nice levels accordingly.

5. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

Glad I could help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice