Just Wanted To Say Hello!

Icewolf

Hello, my name is Icewolf and I just made the jump and made an account here, I have lurked and have learned a lot from other posters and the people here and decided it was time I joined. I have a 10 gallon tank which has a small crayfish and some duckweed (I know....that was my bad.... but the cray seems to find it tasty) and a 30 gallon tropical community that also has a happy Betta who seems to get along with everyone, I got lucky there. I also have a small 5 gallon set up for quarantine or if anything goes wrong with the Betta but so far he has been doing well for 2 months now. Anyways I want to say hello and thank you in advance for any new help or info from you guys!

Dawn Michele

Welcome to Fishlore!!!

AJE

Welcome to fish lore!!

Platylover

Hello and welcome to fishlore!

Swlws

Welcome to Fishlore! Tell us a little more about your babies? I'm the most interested in hearing about your community with the Betta, I find my Betta being a center piece in my community to be fascinating

AJE

Why is knee blood blue? By that logic our skin should be red

Nierums

Welcome to fishlore!

Icewolf

Welcome to Fishlore! Tell us a little more about your babies? I'm the most interested in hearing about your community with the Betta, I find my Betta being a center piece in my community to be fascinating

Well my Betta has been with the rest of the community for almost 4 weeks now, no flaring, no chasing. There are lots of hiding places for everyone and I even got a floating Betta log (its tied since it kept going into the filter). My son insisted on getting a dwarf powder blue Gourami, I didn't know till after that Betta and gouramis can be aggressive with one another but they were added around the same time and so far so good, they both have their own space and neither seems to bug the other, I do keep close watch. The guppies and the platies seem to give the Betta some space. My only issue is what the heck I am going to do with all the baby guppies that just appeared......(any ideas? my husbands idea was to feed them to our crayfish *hes in his own tank btw*) I have been slowly replacing the fake plants with real plants. My current live plants are Anubias Nana, Dwarf hair grass, frog bit and Brazilian micro sword. I plan to get some java moss and some other easier plants.
tank1_medium2.jpg

This picture is before I added the dwarf hair grass and the Anubias nana and the frogbit. The betta is always out and about, he sleeps in the floating log. The rock in the background is positioned so it makes a cave in the back and the platies love swimming through it. I attached the Anubias to the driftwood. And I want to grow some Java moss up the rock in the back.

Merlin_medium2.jpg We named the Betta Merlin to go along with the castles in the tank.

Swlws

My only issue is what the heck I am going to do with all the baby guppies that just appeared......(any ideas? my husbands idea was to feed them to our crayfish *hes in his own tank btw*)

That is the same problem I had from the beginning! I started with my guppies and they just fill whatever space you give them , separating the males and females doesn't work either cause the female can keep giving birth a few times after being in contact with a male your idea of feeding them to the craycray is about the only thing you can do besides getting rid of them all. Later down the line I'm going to split them and only keep males in my display tank and give away all the females

Icewolf

That is the same problem I had from the beginning! I started with my guppies and they just fill whatever space you give them , separating the males and females doesn't work either cause the female can keep giving birth a few times after being in contact with a male your idea of feeding them to the craycray is about the only thing you can do besides getting rid of them all. Later down the line I'm going to split them and only keep males in my display tank and give away all the females

Ya I knew guppies can hold onto sperm for a few months. I had guppies years ago and they bred like rabbits. It's fun watching them grow up, my kids are fascinated. I figure after this last batch grows up ill pick a few males and the females are going either to the cray or maybe I sneak them into my dads aquaponics tank, not sure he would even notice until the population exploded. It's a 300 gallon tank that feeds plants at the top. He used to have tilapia, now he just gives it liquid nutrients. At least we had fresh lettuce all winter.

Do you have issues with just having male guppies? I always assumed they would pick on one another since there were no females to pester.

Swlws

Ya I knew guppies can hold onto sperm for a few months. I had guppies years ago and they bred like rabbits. It's fun watching them grow up, my kids are fascinated. I figure after this last batch grows up ill pick a few males and the females are going either to the cray or maybe I sneak them into my dads aquaponics tank, not sure he would even notice until the population exploded. It's a 300 gallon tank that feeds plants at the top. He used to have tilapia, now he just gives it liquid nutrients. At least we had fresh lettuce all winter.

Do you have issues with just having male guppies? I always assumed they would pick on one another since there were no females to pester.
Nice, year round fresh lettuce!

I also read people have problems with that, as for me and my personal experiences, it was all fine when I had them separated, there were maybe 7-8 fancy tail males of different ages in a 7g tank for a month without so much as a nip. Maybe I was lucky or maybe it was because they were all related and grew up together, who knows

Icewolf

Nice, year round fresh lettuce!

I also read people have problems with that, as for me and my personal experiences, it was all fine when I had them separated, there were maybe 7-8 fancy tail males of different ages in a 7g tank for a month without so much as a nip. Maybe I was lucky or maybe it was because they were all related and grew up together, who knows

Well all the guppies are related except one female. My sister in law begged me to take some from her, at the time I had an albino tiger oscar, He sadly passed away about a month ago, he was 11 years old and huge, they were originally feeders for him. Sadly after our long time together he slowed down and eventually stopped eating all together. Not sure what it was that caused him to pass, guppies were an occasional treat for years. So remaining guppies are now in the community tank and well I am down to 2 tanks, more manageable for me at the moment since I am juggling elementary age kids, household stuff and full-time schooling along with a part time "maid" job for my mother, she pays me I can't complain.

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom