Just Want To Make Sure Thick Bubble Nest Is Ok! :)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Naiomi, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Naiomi

Naiomi New Member Member

Hello, I understand bubble nest is normal but I just want to know the 3/4 inch thick bubble nest is normal and ok? I did water change on Tuesday afternoon and the bubble nest just getting thicker on just one coroner. I know it might be pretty silly to ask, but it is thicker compares to other pictures I found online. And, I wonder when I doing the next water change, should I try my best to not mess with the nest? Thank you so much! [​IMG]

2. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

If it's a betta and you know it was him that made it and not something else, (filter, soap, ect) then yes. Bubble nests mean your fish is happy and (sometimes) ready to make babies. :) my mom's betta always made a huge nest but never that thick. It's impressive.

Oh yeah, and I don't think it matters if you mess it up, he'll probably build another one but I tried not to.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
  3. OP
    OP
    Naiomi

Naiomi New Member Member

Thank you for your reply. Yes, Blues (my first betta) is making it and it's not soap or anything else. As long as there's nothing wrong with too much bubble nest then it is good news ! :D I guess Blues just a healthy happy strong boy! Thanks!

4. 2211Nighthawk

Do you have a pic of the whole tank out of curiosity? The corner looks great. :)

5. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Totally normal. Some males build them smaller and thinner, some build them larger and thicker, and anywhere in between. Don't worry about disrupting the nest if you do not intend to breed him; he'll make more.

6. OP
    OP
    Naiomi

Naiomi New Member Member

Ok, I think I will try not to mess with it when I change water next time, it just seems a lot of work to build it :)

Thank you! It is my first one and took me few weeks to set it up and researching how to do it. I just put in a mopani wood and betta leaf in there few days ago, I learned that they are good for betta fish.

Thank you! I was a little worry about "more doesn't mean it's good" :) thanks again for the reply!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
  7. 2211Nighthawk

Looks great! I'm sill trying to figure out what I want to do with my two tanks that need redecorating...

8. OP
    OP
    Naiomi

Naiomi New Member Member

Do you do live plants? I saw so many pretty ones online, but I don't think I am ready for live plants yet. I am very new to this but I am amazed by some of them looks like paintings of gardens, forest, mountains...etc

9. 2211Nighthawk

I'm gonna be brave (or insane) and try live in my 10g. Never done them before and I have a horrible green thumb but I want to try. I can't have any in my 45 (soon to be 60 gallon *squeel!*) because my loaches and the goldfish will dig them up. I'm moving in a week so once everyone is settled in I wanna start browsing

Aquascaping is insane by all levels of sanity. Throwing a few plants in is one thing but what your talking about (and I drool over) is a whole other side of crazy fish person :) I don't think I'm EVER gonna be brave enough for that.

10. OP
    OP
    Naiomi

Naiomi New Member Member

Me too on the green thumb part :D good luck on moving, it is exciting to redecorate the tanks and your own place at the same time.
    I didn't even know "aquascaping" is a thing, lol, I just wish one day I can do whatever those "crazy fish people" do . Having your own underwater world sounds pretty cool.

11. 2211Nighthawk

Ugh... moving a 60g tank... my dad hates me for it. He's doing the moving ;)
    Yeah, the technical term is Aquascaping but yours looks pretty dang good. No wonder he made such a big nest. There are some gorgeous tanks set up out there but my crazy loaches would murder a pretty tank... so I start out small with the 10g. Just wait until the Multiple Tank Syndrome kicks in. I started with a betta and now I'm getting a 60g :) *sigh* I love this hobby.

12. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Most impressive nest I've ever seen a betta make. You're doing a great job with him.

13. OP
    OP
    Naiomi

Naiomi New Member Member

Thank you! Yea...I have a perfect place (unused kitchen desk) to put a much much larger tank. I am trying to fight the temptation of having a bigger tank there but luckily my "multiple tank syndrome" is mild and under controlled right now lol. 60g sounds heavy and large :D I love it too and I love this site, ppl are so friendly and helpful! Thanks again! :)

14. 2211Nighthawk

No problem. :)

15. OP
    OP
    Naiomi

Naiomi New Member Member

Thank you so much! I am happy it means I did the right set up for him. :)

16. Quiche

Quiche Valued Member Member

Wow, that is an impressive nest! If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the two feathery plants on the left from? They're really pretty, are they real or fake?

17. MattS99

I wish my guy was as happy as yours. He's suffering his second bout of fin rot since I've got him. Poor little guy.

18. OP
    OP
    Naiomi

Naiomi New Member Member

Thank you! I got those two fake feathery plants from petsmart, it's call "Top Fin Artificial Fir Hair Aquarium Plant" they were actually emergency purchase for Blues (his name) because he was flaring so much because the glass tank reflection. They works perfectly and became his favorite spot to sleep and make bubbles. I did cut them shorter and the stem is made with clear bendable plastic. So I guess that means it is safe for the fish. :)

I am sorry to hear it, hope he will be better soon!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2017
  19. MattS99

Thanks. Caught it pretty quick this time, started dosing almost immediately.

20. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

That's an impressive neat! One of my guys tends to scatter his bubbles all over the tank. He has only built one the "correct" way

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice