Just Venting: Can’t Find The Right Bachelor

Discussion in 'Betta Breeding' started by Happy Mama, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Happy MamaValued MemberMember

The males I see from the LFS are way, way too eccentric and expensive for what I’m looking for. I also don’t want to pass on any “dumbo” or metallic/dragon scale genes. They’re just not my cup of tea.

I want more of a solid green, turquoise, or royal blue HM to trial breed and add to our personal tanks. (Face-palm.)

Thanks for reading!

2. nanofishneededValued MemberMember

I know you mentioned cost being an issue, but Aquabid has some really beautiful stuff... If not then you could always try your city's local aquarium club/society.

3. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Something like my boy?
    He ended up not being a plakat though, he's got a huge, floofy rosetail.
    I've seen one female similar to him being sold on eBay as a "green metallic" for $25 or $30 or something.
    I know you said no metallic, but I've only seen green with the metallic trait

Attached Files:

4. Happy MamaValued MemberMember

Thank you! I’m in no rush though. I’ve never spent more than $10 for a personal pet fish. I still have more places to stop by around here, and they get new stock every week.

5. Happy MamaValued MemberMember

He looks like one of my girls! She’s metallic green and partially blind. Aw...what if they were siblings?

I hope green isn’t a metallic trait. Got to do more research. Know anybody that can educate me on this?

Attached Files:

6. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Hmmm, I'm blanking at the moment, sorry. And what a lovely little betta, how cool!
    Shoot, I've forgotten everyone who breeds bettas, lol

7. Happy MamaValued MemberMember

I have a batch of HM females from two different breeders. One breeder raised bettas with dragon scale touching their faces like my girl in the picture, but the other breeder raised bettas with dark faces. I want more of the “clean” darker faced bettas - their eyes are clear, their fins are even all around, they swim through current with ease, their scales are pigmented to the point where you see no breaks without coming closer to the tank...and I feel that they are docile compared to the others.

8. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Royal blue bettas would be what you are looking for, some even have the dark masked face, most do not have the strong metallic (most often no metallic) like other blues. I've seen several that look like satin when swimming.

9. Happy MamaValued MemberMember

Thank you so much! So far, I’ve only seen one royal blue male that was impressive. This betta had a dark mask. Most of him was royal blue, but he had white butterfly fins. If I crossed my solid female and the butterfly male, how do you think their offspring would look?

10. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

A mix of solid and butterfly, depending on the fishes genetics.