Just Tell Me What To Get

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by EndGame, Apr 9, 2017.

1. EndGame

EndGame Valued Member Member

Ok....so tank a finished fishless cycling....tested with API test kit over 7 weeks.

Attached is a pic. Standard 55 gallon, Artificial plants, real driftwood, fine gravel substrate (more coarse than sand but half the size of regular gravel), 2 HOB filters. Set at 78° right now.

[​IMG]

I've wracked my brain over what to get. Decided that ordering online is too costly due to shipping costs. Localy I'm limited to Walmart, PetSmart, a LFS, and a local chain equivalent to a smaller PetSmart.....I think there may be a PetCo about 45min from here.

I'm looking for a tropical fish community that will get along and not have anything outgrow the tank. Not interested in live bearers.

I'd appreciate any ideas with what I've described above. Also, please list quanities. It would also be helpful to know when to introduce the fish as I assume all at once may shock the system.

I hope this doesn't come across wrong. I just keep running into issues looking online about fish outgrowing tanks as well as compatibility issues. Availibilty seems to be a possible problem as well. To make it worth ordering online id have to order everything at once which again concerns me.

I'm just looking for a nice looking tank and am ready to do this.

Thanks for any help you can provided.

2. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

You probably would have better luck to get a list of what you have available, then some very smart stocking people here could help you come up with a stocking list that you will like.

3. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

We can give you an outline for what to look for.

For example:
    2x medium-sized centerpiece fish (gourami pair, angels, etc.)
    1-2x medium mid-dwelling school (neons, cardinals, rasboras, etc.)
    1x top dwelling school (hatchets are the only one that come to mind)
    1x bottom dwelling shoal (corys, loaches, etc.)
    and then depending on what large fish you got, you could always get a few shrimp/snails.

4. cheapcouches

cheapcouches Valued Member Member

I enjoy the Golden Dojo Loaches for the bottom dweller, or maybe an Albino Bushy Nose Pleco (these aren't supposed to get too big, about 4 1/2 inches). These are my personal favorite bottom dwellers, though I've heard that the Golden Dojo Loaches won't get along with small shrimp, such as Ghost Shrimp.

I personally have 2 Dojo loaches and 1 Albino Bushy Nose in my 45 gallon. I've heard that the Pleco enjoy driftwood.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  5. Mike the fish keeper

Mike the fish keeper Valued Member Member

If you wanted Dojo's you would need to lower the temp to 74 degrees and find fish that could tolerate colder temps. Ex Goldfish, White mountain cloud minnows, maybe Bolivian rams.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  6. Lorekeeper

If you tell us a fish that you definitely want in the tank (like dojos), we can begin to construct a stocking list around that with common fish that most stores carry.

7. cheapcouches

I just realized (after some research) that both fish I mentioned might not work in your tank, for they typically prefer live plants over fake plants. Sorry dude.

P.S. I like your tank :)

8. M

Matthiasfanu Valued Member Member

Totally off topic but where did you get those 2 taller plants on the book ends of your tank?

9. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

What sort of fish do you like?

A few suggestions
    1 Angelfish
    2 GBR
    12 Cardinal tetras
    10 harlequin rasboras
    12 Kuhlli loaches
    1 clown pleco

OR
    1-2 Honey gourami
    1-2 Bolivian rams
    12 Neon tetras
    8-10 Skirt tetras or rosy barbs
    10-15 Panda cories
    1 BN pleco

10. OP
    OP
    EndGame

I really like the rainbowfish and a PetSmart near by says they have all 3 of these......

......but I'm not sure of the size vs tank

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  11. cheapcouches

I did research on the rainbowfish you posted, and your tank should be fine for those fish, though I've also found that they prefer planted tanks. I have no idea on how many you should get, however, for I have no experience at all with rainbowfish.

12. Mike the fish keeper

I believe rainbows like to shoal so you would need 6+. They will do great in your tank just leave a lot of swimming room

13. OP
    OP
    EndGame

The Giant Danios look decent too

14. OP
    OP
    EndGame

15. Lorekeeper

I'm not so great with stocking, but @TexasDomer will know what to do.

16. Mike the fish keeper

Giant Danios would need a school of 6+ and they would do good with Dojo's

17. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You could do something like this?

2x Dojo loaches
    12x Kuhli loaches
    10x Giant danios
    8x Turquoise rainbows
    1x Rainbow cichlid

18. OP
    OP
    EndGame

I like the looks of this......do you have alternatives for the loaches(as all I have seen is black around here) and the rainbow Cichlid as I dont know if I could get this either.

Also.....what order and quantity would load the blank and how far apart?

19. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

You can switch out the rainbow cichlid with the bolivian ram. For the kuhlis, you can switch it out and add in peppered cories

20. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You could do black loaches instead of kuhli loaches. Black loaches are very similar to (in the same genus as) kuhlis. There are other cory species options as well.

If you didn't want a rainbow cichlid, you could do two keyholes or two Bolivian rams?

You'll need to lower your tank to 70-74 F or so for the stocking I suggested.

I would definitely avoid Walmart.

For the stocking order/timeline, I would do something like this, waiting a week between additions to give your cycle time to catch up: 5x giant danios, 5x giant danios, 4x turquoise rainbows, 4x turquoise rainbows, 6x cories or loaches, 6x cories or loaches, 2x dojos, cichlid species (either 1x rainbow or 2x Bolivians or 2x keyholes).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice