Just starting shrimp tank - advice?

samuraidrive

Reaction score
Hey everyone, found a lot of advice here so decided to register. I'm starting a cherry shrimp tank for breeding, eventually I'd like to release them into my other tanks, just want to make sure they have a place to breed and grow before throwing them to the sharks!

I have a 3 gal bowl, sponge filter, fluval substrate. I'm using de chlorinated filtered water (this has worked so far for my other 2 tanks). I also seeded with some bio rings and a nicely covered pre-filter from my established tank. I have a tiny bit of xmas moss in there and pothos growing out of the top (I really like the look!) I put an almond leaf in there to get it going and I also have a little clay pot in there to give them some cover.

Looking for tips for success - anything I missed, anything I should add, take away? Should I be worried about cycling (no ammonia source aside from the almond leaf). The cherries arrive Thursday, just want them to have a nice home when they arrive. Thanks for your time!

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would have recommended letting the tank sit for at least 6 weeks, and 3 months would be better, before adding shrimp to allow biofilm to develop, but it's too late for that. I see people recommend BacterAE in your situation but I've never used it.

Other than that, it's generally recommended to drip acclimate them for two hours or longer, at the rate of 1 drop of water per second.

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I put my shrimp in a new tank (just cycled) and they did great. I fed them wafers to supplement while the biofilm got going. They absolutely love the giant garden of java moss, and i have a large curly piece of driftwood in there for biofilm growing and climbing areas as well as hiding space. They also love hanging out in the leaves of java fern. I'm new at this too, but it seems to be working well so far!

OP
S

samuraidrive

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I hope they stick around and like their new home. I just tested and nitrates went way up in just a day, will need to keep an eye on that. Just did a water change.

I definitely jumped the gun on the cherries... figured I could put them in my other tank but my tetras are voracious, so put together a breeding tank to keep the population going. Good tip on keeping it running for a few months, if I lose them I'll keep it going and try again.

I should mention that the phothos I added has been in water for years, really hope it helps establish a biofilm fast. I also added some mexican rotala that has been growing nicely in my other tank. Definitely need to find some more moss!

New Threads