Just starting out...

1. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Hey guys I have a 20 gallon tank. It has sand & driftwood in it right now. I'll be going to the pet store tomorrow for fish to start stocking it after months of research. Ill also be picking up plants for the tank. I want to give a planted tank a shot. I just want to use easy plants.
    I was thinking of getting java fern, annubias, and water sprite or water wisteria to float.
    I'm posting this because I was wondering if I should use and ferts like seachem flourish or API leafzone or anything just to help out the plants?
    Also the lighting on my tank is very poor. Visually, it looks good and bright and pretty, but the wattage is terrible. It's 17 watt for a 20 gallon tank.. yeah I know :(.
    Will these plants be ok with the low amount of light because they are low maintenance?
    Thanks for the help. I'm not very knowledgable with this topic. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Floating plants may become necessary... something like Frogbit could work. Your Java fern and moss will do fine in that lighting, as will the anubias, but I wouldn't bother with water sprite. It needs a bit more light than you're going to have in that tank, and while it is generally a great low light plant, I found that without sufficient light from either the tank light or window, mine kicked it pretty quickly. I currently have a TON of it growing in one of my wild betta tanks. I never expected it to take off like that, especially with all the other plants I have in there sucking up nutrients.

Anyway, water sprite needs x amount of light and if you can't provide it, I wouldn't bother with that particular plant. As far as fertilization goes, you're not going to want to use any with that lighting and those plants. You'll likely get more than enough from fish waste, even with a low bioload, to sustain the plants in a good condition.

3. OP
    OP
    petaddiction

Alright! Thanks for all the help, June. I really appreciate it. :) I'm excited to finally get this tank up and running.

4. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

No worries. :) Can't wait to see this thing all set up and stocked!

5. OP
    OP
    petaddiction

Thanks it's set up and partially stocked... I'll upload pictures tomorrow once I can get them off my camera. :) junebug

6. v

valau Valued Member Member

You can try attaching java moss to your driftwood. Extremely hardy plant, and imo really gives that dense planted look a lot of people go for. Good luck!