Just Starting Out (105 Gallon)

undetermined

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am new to owning fish, but a long time lover of fish. With my wife's approval, we finally were financially able to own a tank. I bought this tank and stand from a previous owner of a fish store that got sucked into the oilfield. So far so good, the fish are starting to appear more, and they even sucked on my fingers when I was moving plants around this morning.

682.jpg

I am totally open to suggestions, here is a list of what we have and plan to have.

1 Adult Silver Dollar, 2 Youth Silver Dollars, 4 Black Mollies (1 Male), 4 Creamcicle Mollies (1 Male)

We hope to own soon, 4 Dalmation Mollies (1 Male) and 4 Silver Mollies (1 Male).

Figuring 6" for the Silvers and 3" for the Mollies, I have about 66" of fish for 105 gallons of water. That should leave me room for some babies...

I figure in about 5 years I will own my house, we are going to put in about a 3000-5000 KOI pond then. Something to enjoy on retirement in 30-40 years.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Very nice looking. Congrats on the new tank. I really enjoy my Mollies and I think you will too.

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The one inch of fish,for one gallon of water,is not a rule you should hang on to. A good example of it not working is a 10 inch oscar will not survive in a 10 gallon tank. Just wanted to point that rule out to you.

I would get a minimum of 5 silver dollars.The more the better though. You could have 7 or 8 easily.But 6 inches is being a bit conservative. 8 inches or more is a possibility.

Other than that,it sounds good to me.

undetermined

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The one inch of fish,for one gallon of water,is not a rule you should hang on to. A good example of it not working is a 10 inch oscar will not survive in a 10 gallon tank. Just wanted to point that rule out to you.

I would get a minimum of 5 silver dollars.The more the better though. You could have 7 or 8 easily.But 6 inches is being a bit conservative. 8 inches or more is a possibility.

Other than that,it sounds good to me.
I had heard to not follow the rule, but it was a decent reference. That is why I was stopping with 16 mollies and 3 silver dollars.

MikeNTX

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thats a nice lookin tank. Congrats! Sounds like you are in the right place for someone to get sucked into an oil feild!

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had heard to not follow the rule, but it was a decent reference. That is why I was stopping with 16 mollies and 3 silver dollars.
Mollies don't have a big bio load,so you could really have a few more,and having at least 6 silver dollars won't be a problem in a 100 gallon tank either. Silver Dollars are fairly skittish,and shy. The bigger their number,the more secure and active they will be.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
everything I've read says mollies have a relatively large bioload... and a zillion babies.
this is cool - what are you going to get for the bottom?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would get a huge school of cories, personally. When people here first recommended them to me, I was really leery - I didn't think they were cute. But then I got a school of them, and they are absolutely adorable. They quickly became my favorites.

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
everything I've read says mollies have a relatively large bioload... and a zillion babies.
this is cool - what are you going to get for the bottom?
The Silver Dollars will eat the fry
And large bio load for their size? Or large bio load over all? Remember this is a 105 gallon tank,and he is only talking about 16 mollies. The bio load from them won't be an issue in that tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom