Just starting a tank for my little girl. 5 Gallon Tank

1. ctclee Member Member

Hi I think this is my first post and as the title suggests this tank is for my Daughter. So most of the things have done because of things she expressed interest in conversations with her.

For example she wanted Blue flat marbles instead of gravel.
    So as its for christmas I have started it early at a friends house. There may be more things we add there may be changes to things already installed.

228.jpg

2. Shadowbeam Member Member

Looks beautiful! What are you planning on stocking it with?
    Never used anything like blue marbles before, wonder how easy it will be to clean?
    Looks fantastic though!

3. ctclee Member Member

Thank you Shadowbeam. I was thinking about cleaning too. So far it seams to be ok but I could see a build up of sedements being an issue in the future. So i think in time i will change it to gravel after i convince her gravel is better.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello CT. I think your daughter will be so excited. It looks "great"! Job well done. I see that you are aware of the nitrogen cycle so even better!
    Best of luck and keep us posted.
    Ken

5. ctclee Member Member

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome CT!:animal0068: I've merged your two threads so it doesn't get confusing to other members. Hope you enjoy the site!
    Ken

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore :)
    Several members use the marble for their betta tanks. They look really pretty.
    Best of luck with the tank.

8. Sonfish Member Member

Haha I aint the only one that had my kids get me started with these aquariums, lol
    Your looks very nice and Im sure your daughter is gonna love it....

9. ctclee Member Member

Thank you guys for your encouragement. I did get some help setting this up. I have a friend that loves his huge planted tank. he gave me some plants for my tank and it came with a gift. Snails.
    Now I saw one and was like, this is cool! this super tiny thing will grow and make a neat addition to the tank! well i'm sure it is going to grow but ..... so are the rest of them ! Now I've started to see numerous ones . I'm not too worried cause the shells are hard and he will take as many as i can breed for his fish that eat them. but this tank is the coolest little science experiment. I'm such a dork. lol I do not know what kind they are and I was wondering if anyone else does.

235.jpg

I was also given a 10 G tank and will probably do that one in the new year .

10. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Ctc. :animal0068: I have moved your thread per your request. If you would like, you can send MIKE a profile message and ask him to set you up to have your own blog. They're great to have and you can keep track of your progress in the hobby.
    Ken :;ps

11. lorabell Well Known Member Member

awwwwwwe!!! I just love it!!!! Love the marble thingy's!!!!!

12. Betafish305ca Member Member

luvly idea for your daughter.... the marbels looks cute

13. MNfishMama Initiate Member

Welcome to Fishlore from freezing Minnesota!
    It's an AMAZING site with EXCEPTIONALLY helpful members!

14. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore:;balloons

Beautiful tank, your daughter is going to Love it.

15. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Don't want to get you too excited, but with marbles as your substrate, if your danios spawn, which they usually do if you have a group of mixed genders, the eggs will fall down into the marbles where no fish can get them :) However the corydoras and the adult danios will eat the fry as soon as they swim out.
    Marbles are what breeders use when they breed danios :)

16. ThatGuy85 Initiate Member

Nice! I'm sure your daughter will love it. Just be VERY careful when transporting the tank. Too much sloshing around will stress the fish out, not to mention the wet car seats. ;-)

17. ctclee Member Member

Lol thanks for the advice But I am only going one floor up my friend lives in the same building.

18. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I hate to be a downer in all this but are the cories regular cories or pygmy cories?
    Imo, 5.5 isn't big enough for 4 danios and 2 cories.
    Not only bio-load wise but in swim space.

19. vtyou Initiate Member

You should stock it with some schooling Neon Tetras. They would look great with the blue marbles! Your daughter is going to love that tank :)

-Vincent

20. ctclee Member Member

I was wondering if anyone would say something about that..... But yeah I was an easy sell at the fish store so i took them. I questioned them about the amount of fish that i had vs space and said no it'll be fine. But in only a couple weeks I should have a 10 gallon set up and I think that this tank may become home to the cory's and a betta.

Oh and I want to change the marbles to gravel . How long should I wait till i change everything? considering that i'm moving the tank in 4-5 days. i was thinking in jan or feb.